College of the Extended University

International Student FAQs

International Student FAQs

We are aware that many international students at CPP may be impacted by travel and public health concerns in light of COVID-19. Campus departments are working on preparedness plans with our colleges and programs that have students from countries where travel may be affected.  The following are international student-specific questions and answers about COVID-19. For general questions and answer, visit the General FAQ page.

  • Is international travel allowed during Spring Break?

CPP students are strongly advised against personal international travel during Spring Break since flight cancellations, quarantines and border closures have been implemented by several countries on very short notice. If you leave the United States on personal travel, our ability to support you decreases significantly. Your well-being is our top priority, and we ask you to strongly consider our travel guidance.

Also keep in mind that students returning from international travel may be subject to required health screenings, flight cancellations or quarantine — including the possibility of a required 14-day self-quarantine period.

  • What facilities will be open to international students who plan to stay on or near campus during Spring Break?

Residence halls, libraries, recreational facilities and clinics will follow their usual Spring Break schedules. The campus dining halls will remain open during the break.

  • Will summer housing be available to international students who are unable to leave the United States?

Yes. Campus housing can accommodate those students who are unable to leave at the end of the academic year in May due to international travel restrictions and general public health concerns related to COVID-19. The submission period for housing applications for summer opens March 23 at 8 a.m.

 If you anticipate that you may need to extend your housing through the summer, please apply for CPP summer housing as soon as the application period begins. Summer housing contracts run from May 26 to Aug. 6. Housing summer assignments may different than current locations. For housing-related questions or concerns, please contact CPP Housing at 909-869- 3307 or e-mail  

  • Are meal plans available in summer?

International students who reside on or near the CPP Campus may sign up for the Summer Meal Plan. These plans include a combination of residential meal points that students can use at the Centerpointe dining commons and retail cafés at CPP. Students living in off-campus housing may also sign up for Grubhub delivery.

Contact Housing Services at 909-869-3307 if you have questions about meal plans.

  • What are my options for staying in the United States after I graduate in May?
You have three options:

1) Remain in the United States and apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). This applies to F-1 students.

2) Remain in the United States until during the post-graduation 60-day grace period, which ends 7-14-20.

3) Pursue another degree in the United States and transfer your SEVIS record to another institution.

  • My visa is expiring, and I am unable to travel to my home country at this time. What should I do?

Students may stay in the United States on an expired F-1/J-1 visa as long as they maintain their immigration status by being in possession of a valid I-20/DS-2019 and an I-94 Arrival/Departure record and meet normal enrollment requirements.

Contact the International Students & Scholars Office via email at or call 909-869-3267 if you have questions regarding your visa or immigration status.

  • How would a temporary move to online classes impact international students with F-1 visas whose instruction must occur in person?

CPP adheres to the guidelines of the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), which is a unit within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that oversees the F-1 international student visa program. Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, SEVP recently issued guidance to universities that allows for increased flexibility to ensure international students can continue their academic progress.

Universities can implement temporary adjustments such as moving to online instruction without negatively impacting the immigration status of enrolled international students.

  • What type of health services can international students access?

International students have access to the university’s Student Health and Wellness Services (medical care, counseling and mental health care) through summer.  For additional information, contact CPP Student Health at 909-869-5272 or email

Those who have the International Student Health Insurance Plan provided by Aetna are covered through August. Effective immediately, Aetna will waive copays for all diagnostic testing related to COVID-19 for insured students. Aetna will waive the member costs associated with diagnostic testing at any authorized location. The healthcare provider also will offer zero copay telemedicine visits for any reason for the next 90 days and waive cost-sharing for all video visits to approved providers.