Applications Process: 2020-2021 Cohort
To be eligible for this program, you must:
- Be a low-income and first-generation college student,
or underrepresented in your field of study at the doctoral level;
- Must have completed at least 75 quarter units or 50 semester units by the time you apply;
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident status
Application Procedure (Note: Upcoming recruitment will be updated in Nov. 2020)
Please note that everyone must fill out an Eligibility Form online, and submit supporting documents to the McNair Program office before you can complete the application package.
- Eligibility Form and Supporting Documents: Complete and submit the eligibility form online. Online submission will open on December 1, 2019. The eligibility form will be due on January 27, 2020. Please remember that in order for your eligibility form to be reviewed and considered complete, you must submit all supporting documents (CPP Unofficial Transcript, Community College Transcripts (if applicable), CPP Financial Aid Package Summary (from BroncoDirect)) via the online submission portal (click here to submit supporting documents). You can also bring supporting documents to the McNair Scholars Program Office, located in the Science Building, Third floor, Room 8-306 by January 27, 2020.
- Application Packet: Once it has been determined that you are eligible for the program, you will be given an application. You should complete all parts of the application packet. Incomplete or late application packets will not be accepted. Application due date: February 28, 2020.
- Interview: Once applications are processed, top candidates will be invited to interview with the selection committee. Interviews will be held during the weeks of March 11th-March 24th, 2020.
A complete application packet includes the following:
- The completed 4-page application;
- Your Academic Degree Progress report;
- Your unofficial transcripts; if you are a transfer student, you may submit your community college transcripts if you have only been at CPP since Fall.
- Your Personal Statement of no more than 500 words;
- Your Research Statement: about a page long;
- Two letters of recommendation. These may be uploaded at:
Please note that some of this information will take time to gather. You should plan accordingly. As soon as you decide to apply to the program, ask professors and others to write letters of recommendations. If you wait to do these things, you may find that the deadline will arrive, and your application packet will be incomplete. All complete application packets must be submitted online no later than February 28, 2020.