How to Request a Duplicate W-2

W-2's are mailed to your home address normally by January 20th of each year. If you do not receive your W-2 by the end of January, you should contact Human Resources & Payroll Services Customer Service.

If you need a duplicate copy of your W-2, you may request one by completing a Standard Form 436 to request a duplicate W-2. The request must include the following:

  • Your name
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Tax year requested
  • Your mailing address
  • A day time telephone number
  • Your signature

More than one tax year may be requested; however, only four prior tax years are available.

Back to top

There is a $8.50 processing fee per tax year. For employees currently employed, payment for the duplicate Form W-2 must be made via payroll deduction and the appropriate option must be checked on the Form 436. The fee will be deducted from your next paycheck. For FERPS, retired annuitants, student assistants and employees who are not currently employed, payment must be made via a money order or cashier's check made payable to the State Controller's Office. Personal checks are not accepted.

Back to top

Please send the request and payment, if applicable to the following address:

State Controller's Office 
Personnel/Payroll Services Division 
P.O.Box 942850 
Sacramento, CA 94250-5878 
ATTN: W-2 Unit

Back to top