Minor in Data Science
The minor in Data Science from the Department of Computer Science is open to all undergraduates in any major (including CS majors) at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.
- The program offers a core foundation in data science and trains students in competencies to work with big data using computational and statistical techniques and tools as well as applying models and algorithms.
- The program enages students in the professional practice of data science with job titles such as data scientist and data analytics.
- The program promotes interdisciplinary studies by applying data science concepts to a broad range of disciplines including but not limited to science, engineering, business and social sciences.
Upon completion of the minor in Data Science, students will acquire:
- knowledge and skills of processing data, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions from data;
- an ability to apply data analysis methods and modern computing techniques for dealing with big data; and
- an ability to conduct big data analytics projects and apply data science to real-life problems across a broad range of disciplines.
- Foundation Courses (9 units)
- One course in Statistics: STA1200 Statistics with Applications (3) or equivalent
- One course in College Algebra: MAT1050 College Algebra (3) or equivalent
- One course in computer programming: CS1260 Python for Beginners (3) or CS2520 Python for Programmers (3) or equivalent
- Core Courses (9 units)
- CS2410 Fundamental of Data Science (3)
- CS4210 Machine Learning and Its Applications (3)
- CS4650 Big Data Analytics and Cloud Computing (3)
- Electives (9 units -- choose 3 from the following approved list)
- CS4200 Artificial Intelligence (3)
- CS4250 Web Search and Recommender Systems (3)
- CS4350 Database Systems (3)
- CIS4321 Data Mining (3)
- CIS3454 Data Warehousing (3)
- CIS4680 Advanced Data Analysis (3)
- CE4331/4331L GIS Applications in Engineering and Remote Sensing (3)
- IME4140 Data Analysis: Application in Industrial and Systems Engineering (3)
- GEO3220/3220L GIS Programming and Application (3)
- GEO4050/4050L Geodemographics with GIS (3)
- GEO4100/4100L Remote Sensing of the Environment (3)
- GEO4400/4400L Advanced GIS (3)
- GEO4430/4430L - Quantitative Spatial Analysis (3)
- Capstone project in data science: (2 units)
- CS4610: Senior project (1)
- CS4620: Senior project (1)