Major Card Sort
This Major Card Sort activity is designed to assist you in narrowing down your areas of interest and to identify various majors offered at Cal Poly Pomona.
- Take your time to read each card and honestly determine your level of interest for each area.
- (Optional step) If you would like to learn more about a particular area of interest click on the “view more information” link.
- Rank your interest for each card by using the pull-down button (high interest, some interest, low interest).
- Once you select your interest level for each card, click on the “submit” button to move on and view the next card.
- When you are finished with this exercise, print out the results and review your results with your Academic Advisor (for undeclared students), or a Career Counselor.
- To schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor, call 909.869.2344, or visit them in building 97, room 100. To schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor (if you are undeclared), call the Student Development & Undeclared Services main office at 909.869.3360.
- (Optional step) You may conduct research on your own at the Career Center to determine your top major choices through activities such as the job information resources, the library resources, the assessment tools, and more. Visit the Career Center to find out more about other resources they have available for you. You can also visit their web site.
Career Counselor Role: To help you explore your interests, values, skills, talents, etc.; to guide you in the major/career/job exploration process; to connect you with resources that you can use for self-guidance in the process of selecting a major that’s right for you.
Academic Advisor Role: To review curriculum(s) for your major(s) of interest; to guide you with courses to take as it relates to your interest(s); to refer you to other resources for further major/career/job exploration (such as the Career Center or online services).