Skip To Main Content

Change of Major Policy

Below you will find the California State Polytechnic University, Pomona Guidelines for Undergraduate Change of Major Requirements.

College Requirements for Change of Major (2014-2015) (PDF)

College Requirements for Change of Major (2015-2016) (PDF)

College Requirements for Change of Major (2016-2017) (PDF)

Guidelines for Undergraduate Changes of Major Requirements

Decisions concerning changes of majors must provide for the equitable treatment of all eligible entering freshmen, entering transfer students, and continuing students. All departmental requirements for choice of major or change of major must be approved by the Dean of the College and submitted to the Office of Academic Programs.

Non-Impacted Programs

Departments may limit changes of major into non-impacted programs to a specific quarter or refuse changes of major for a quarter in which the university is not accepting new undergraduate students.

Departments must accept changes of major for lower-division students in good standing (2.0 grade point average for all college-level work attempted, all Cal Poly Pomona work attempted, and all work attempted in the requested major core).

Departments may establish additional requirements for change of major for upper-division students. There are several options for managing enrollment in non-impacted programs. These include:

  • Departments may require students to have completed some minimum number of units with grades of C or better to gain access to upper division courses or to change majors. (Only impacted programs may require grades higher than C.)

  • Departments may require students to have completed certain lower division prerequisite courses with grades of C or better to gain access to upper division courses or to change majors. (Only impacted programs may require grades higher than C.)

Impacted Programs

Both lower-division and upper-division students requesting a change of major to an impacted program must meet the supplemental criteria required of new transfer students for that program.

Requests for changes to impacted majors may be accepted after the initial filing period for a term in which new majors are being accepted but should be evaluated using the same criteria applied to new students for that term.

Communication to the Campus

Colleges choosing to require completion of work for upper-division changes of major or to limit when changes of major will be accepted must provide this information to the Office of Academic Programs. Colleges are responsible for ensuring that information is included on the department’s website concerning change of major meetings and requirements for changes of major. Changes to change of major requirements must be submitted well in advance of the effective term, preferably three terms prior to the change taking effect.

Change of Major Process

Undergraduate students changing from one degree program to another, or from undeclared status to a degree program, must complete and submit an approved Petition to Change Major Curriculum. This form is available online.

Academic advising appointments and/or change of major meetings may be required by a department or college to ensure that students have the potential to succeed in the selected major. Students changing their major are subject to the major requirements in effect at the time of the change. Change of major petitions submitted no later than the end of the fourth week of the quarter will be effective in the following quarter.

Students may not apply to change majors or add an additional major in, or after, the quarter in which they are completing the requirements for a declared major. Students may declare a second major (a second option or major in the case of Business majors) if both majors can be completed within 48-units above the number of units required for the student’s primary major.  Double majors may be declared at any time in a students’ career but students are strongly encouraged to declare minors and double majors early in their career.  After earning 135 total units, students may declare a minor or additional major only if they are in good academic standing and have the approval of the chair of the department offering the proposed academic program.