Dr. H. Erkan Ozkaya
Dr. Ozkaya is the CBA Professor of Innovation, and Associate Professor of Marketing and International Business at the International Business and Marketing Department. He earned his Ph.D. in marketing from Michigan State University.
His research interests are International Marketing, Innovation and New Product Development, and Marketing Strategy.
Dr. Ozkaya has published in several academic journals including Journal of International Business Studies (JIBS), Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (JAMS), International Journal of Research in Marketing (IJRM), Journal of Business Research (JBR), and International Business Review (IBR).
He is the founding director of NASA-Cal Poly Pomona Business Startup Program (NASA-CPP BSP) (nasacpp.org) and the Center of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. NASA-CPP BSP focuses on developing new products based on NASA technologies and creating new ventures to commercialize these technologies. This program's collaboration with NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center received the Outstanding Partnership Award, Federal Laboratory Consortium Far West Regional 2017. He supervises projects as a part of NASA-CPP which individually won multiple awards and grants.
His work is recognized by the College of Business Administration: http://www.cpp.edu/~cba/news-events/news/flc-nasa.shtml.
He worked as the Technology Transfer Project Consultant to National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Armstrong Flight Research Center (AFRC), where he leads student teams from Cal Poly Pomona to assess the global commercialization potential of new NASA discoveries and devise marketing strategies to enhance the technology licensing process.
Previously, he held marketing coordinator, project manager, and marketing analyst positions where he devised market entry strategies, led market research activities and developed marketing strategies.
Dr. Ozkaya served as the Track Co-Chair at the (1) Marketing Strategy Track Global Marketing Track at the 2019 Academy of Marketing Science Conference, (2) Global Marketing Track at the 2015 American Marketing Association Educators Conference (3) International Marketing Track Co-Chair at the 2012 Academy of Marketing Science Conference.
He received the "Faculty of the Year Award" four times at the International Business and Marketing Department.
He received the College of Business Outstanding Advisor Award.
Dr. Ozkaya's expertise in teaching International Marketing is highly recognized. He was selected to lead the Faculty Development in International Marketing workshop at the Georgia State University, Center of International Business Education and Research, International Business Pedagogy Workshops, June 1-4, 2017.
He was invited to the AACSB Co-Lab: Connecting Business Schools with Practice Conference (2017) to discuss his work as a director of the NASA-CPP Business Startup program at the Showcasing Success: Creating and Managing Partnerships session.
Dr. Ozkaya currently teaches NASA Technology Commercialization, International Marketing Management , Innovation and Commercialization Lab, Global Business Strategy, International Exporting, International Logistics, Marketing Management, and Principles of Global Business.
Martin Heinberg, H. Erkan Ozkaya, Markus Taube, (2018) "Do corporate image and reputation drive brand equity in India and China? - Similarities and differences" Journal of Business Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.09.018
Martin Heinberg, H. Erkan Ozkaya, Markus Taube, (2017) " The influence of global and local iconic brand positioning on advertising persuasion in an emerging market setting" Journal of International Business Studies http://link.springer.com/article/10.1057/s41267-017-0071-2/fulltext.html
Ibrahim Karakadilar, Gizem Gureli, H. Erkan Ozkaya (2016), “How to Achieve and Measure Success in Social Media Marketing” Encyclopedia of E-Commerce Development, Implementation, and Management. IGI Global (Edited by In Lee) http://www.igi-global.com/book/encyclopedia-commerce-development-implementation-management/139336
- Martin Heinberg, H. Erkan Ozkaya, Markus Taube, (2015) “A brand build on sand: Is acquiring a local brand an ill-advised strategy for global companies?”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science:1-22. doi:10.1007/s11747-015-0452-7
- H. Erkan Ozkaya, Cornelia Droge, Tomas Hult, Roger Calantone, Elif Ozkaya (2015) “Market Orientation, Market Knowledge Competence, and Innovation”. International Journal of Research in Marketing , doi:10.1016/j.ijresmar.2014.10.004
- Ryan, Jason, Sari Silvanto and H. Erkan Ozkaya (2015) “A contextual, theoretical and empirical analysis of the uses of University Degrees as Symbolic Capital in Self-Initiated Expatriation” European Journal of International Management, 20(3), 238-258. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/CDI-08-2014-0105
- Ozkaya Elif, H. Erkan Ozkaya, Juanita Roxas, Frank Bryant, Debbora Whitson (2015), “Factors Affecting the Usage Rate of QR codes”. Journal of Direct, Data and Digital Marketing Practice 16 (January/March), 209-224, doi:10.1057/dddmp.2015.18
- Whitson, Debbora, H. Erkan Ozkaya, and Juanita Roxas, (2014), Changes in consumer segments and preferences to green labeling. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 38: 458–466. doi: 10.1111/ijcs.12103
- H. Erkan Ozkaya, Chitra Srivastava, Kalin Kolev, Tomas Hult, Steve Danlquist, Sonia Manjeshwar (2013) “An assessment of hierarchical linear modeling in international business, management, and marketing”. International Business Review, 22(4), 663–677, doi:10.1016/j.ibusrev.2012.10.002