Early Fieldwork Experience
As part of the requirement in pre-requisite TED courses, there is a mandatory fieldwork component to every course. For each course, every student MUST complete 15 hours of fieldwork observation at a school site that meets the needs of the course. In order to complete these hours, ALL students must complete their LiveScan, Certificate of Clearance and a TB test BEFORE going out to a school site. Should you not fulfill these requirements, you will not be allowed to do Early Fieldwork Hours (as K-12 school-sites require these to be completed before going into a classroom).
Below are the following courses and the requirements:
- TED 405 Introduction to Contemporary Schooling
- TED 406 Pedagogical Foundations
- TED 407 Education in a Diverse Society
- EDS 403 Introduction to Special Education (prerequisite for Ed Specialist candidates; required course for all MS/SS/ES candidates. All students must complete 15 hours of fieldwork)
PLEASE NOTE: Your Certificate of Clearance with the CTC will be delayed if you answer yes to any of the professional fitness questions. All issues related to professional fitness need to be handled directly with the CTC. The Credential Services Office at Cal Poly Pomona cannot assist you. It is also important to know that professional fitness matters may not be resolved within a quarter, so please be prepared to make necessary adjustments to your academic schedule.
UPDATE: DUE TO THE CALIFORNIA STATE BUDGET CRISIS THE CTC OBSERVES A FURLOUGH SCHEDULE AND THERE ARE EXPECTED DELAYS FOR CERTIFICATES AND ANY OTHER APPROVALS!
Early Fieldwork Requirements
- TB Test - You will need to make an appointment with the Student Health Center on Campus or with your personal physician to do a TB test. Please make sure to bring the vaccination card with your results to class.
- LiveScan - This is the fingerprinting process, NOT the Certificate of Clearance. You can find most LiveScan services offered through police stations or through individual LiveScan representatives. You need to have your LiveScan results sent to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The Cal Poly Pomona Police Department has LiveScan services available, and you can contact them at 909-869-3070.
- Certificate of Clearance - This is a separate process which means that the CTC has cleared you for work in a classroom. Another fee will need to be paid in order to receive your certificate. This may take up to two weeks.