First-Time Credentials Deadlines
(For Education Specialist, Multiple Subject & Single Subject Programs)
- Credential Program Application Deadlines (for credential program admission):
- Summer 2020 - February 17, 2020
Program Admission Requirements
NOTE: All requirements listed here must be met in order to be considered for credential program admission. Candidates must submit their University application (calstateapply) as graduate students and their program admission packet simultaneously.
- GPA Admission requirements: To apply to the credential program, the candidate shall have attained a GPA of at least 2.67 in all baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate coursework or a GPA of at least 2.75 in the last 60 semester units attempted. All candidates must have completed all appropriate prerequisites. If your GPA falls below the minimum required, carefully read the following:
If your GPA is below the mandated requirement, applicants must have:
- Completed a University application
- Submitted the Program Admissions Packets;
- A typed Exceptional Admission statement addressing ALL of the following:
- Circumstances that contributed to your inability to meet GPA requirement;
- Experiences related to the field of education completed since graduation from college. It must define commitment to and potential for success in a professional teacher preparation program and the teaching profession.
- Status of completing the subject matter requirements for the credential sought.
Orientation: (Valid for 1 year) Prior to the Program Admissions deadline, all Education Specialists must attend an on-campus Education Specialist Orientation; see the website for dates/times/locations.
Student Program Plan: Candidates must make arrangements with their Academic Advisor to meet and complete the Student Program Plan.
Student Program Plans: http://www.cpp.edu/~ceis/education/credential-programs/resources/forms.shtml
- Program Admissions Interview: (Valid for 1 year)
All applicants will participate in a group interview and on-demand writing sample. Candidates will be contacted by the Credential Services Office to make arrangements after submitting program admissions packets to the office.
Basic Skills Requirement: All applicants must submit proof of passage of the Basic Skills Requirement by the deadline. There are several options available to verify this requirement on the CTC website www.ctc.ca.gov.
Subject Matter Competency: Subject Matter Competency is required of all students prior to program admission. Subject Matter Competency can be verified through:
a.) Passing the appropriate CSET http://www.cset.nesinc.com (score results remain valid for 10 years from the time each subtest is passed).
Bilingual Authorization (BL) Candidates:(Valid for 1 year) All BL candidates must schedule an Interview with the Bilingual Programs Coordinator.
All interviews must be completed prior to the application deadline and additional BL items must be submitted at the time of the BL interview. Please arrange your items and schedule your interview accordingly.
Field Experience: Successful completion of a supervised Field Experience is a prerequisite for admission in the Credential Programs. Submit the “Early Field Experience Verification Form” with your program admission packet. See the form for EFE options.
Recommendations: (Valid for 1 year) Two recommendations are required. One recommendation must be completed by a University or College Professor who has been your instructor and one by a professional who has directly observed your work/interaction for a minimum of 20 hours experience with youth in group settings levels TK-12. Please use Recommendation Forms on the program admission website.
Statement of Purpose: In a thoughtful and well constructed essay, discuss the personal and professional qualities you possess that will enable you to become an effective teacher in a multicultural classroom and your expectations of the Credential Program to further develop those attributes. A form is provided for your use. The statement of purpose must be signed and dated. All statements must be typed, double-spaced, 12 point, Times New Roman font. This statement is assessed to meet two purposes: (1) Can you write in an academic and professional manner; and (2) What is your commitment to teaching all children--- Does your response provide evidence of your professional disposition and understanding of teaching in the public schools?
- Certificate of Clearance (Application and Fingerprints): A copy of a Certificate of Clearance document granted by the California Commissions on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) must be submitted as part of the Program Admissions process. A California Teaching Credential or Emergency Permit may be submitted in lieu of the Certificate of Clearance. The issuance date must not exceed 5 years. A copy of your document can be downloaded and printed from the CTC website: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/ within 60 days of your application submission.
Any further questions may be answered by contacting the Commission Information Services Unit by email at email@example.com
TB Clearance: Current Negative TB Test (offered at Student Health Center) or chest x-ray. TB clearance is valid for four years and must remain valid throughout Clinical Practice.
Processing Fee: There is a $25 processing fee. Payments must be made to the Cashier’s Office, or via BroncoDirect.
US Constitution Requirement
If you are a CSU graduate, you have already met this requirement. All other candidates: Completion of a course with a “C” or better (at least two semester units or three quarter units) in the provisions and principles of the United States Constitution or equivalent test.
NOTE: This requirement is NOT required for Program Admissions, but must be met at the time of applying for an Intern Credential, or for the Preliminary Credential upon program completion.
Notification for Out-of-Country Graduates
Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a CTC approved transcript evaluation agency. Original (sealed) copies must be submitted to the Credential Analyst.
Please consult the CTC website for regulations pertaining to foreign transcript evaluation and verification.