Diversity Ambassador Program
Cal Poly Pomona students become "ambassadors for the University and for the state of California as they embark on this personal and historical journey. To grow personally, the student Diversity Ambassadors study the roots and historical content of the sites and important events which lead up to what is termed as America's "Civil Rights Movement".
This understanding before embarking on the trip is crtiical as the roots of many African Americans are in the southern portion of the country. States such as Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, the Carolinas, and Virginia are where many African Americans trace their family roots. The South represents the birthplace of slavery in American and the Civil Rights Movement. African Americans created institutions of higher learning such as the Tuskegee Institute, Spellman and Morehouse Colleges, despite staggering institutional racism in the form of Jim Crow Laws. The Historical BLack Colleges have retained some of the history that is slowly fading from the minds of our youth. This trip allows students to encounter the past and trace the cause and effect of what happened during this difficult period in American history.
Experiencing this part of Black history first hand increases student understanding and knowledge. This is empowering as students strive to build coalitions within the diverse group during the journey-- as well as when they return to make their own impact on the Cal Poly Pomona community at large.
Ghana Study Abroad
This fascinating Study Abroad program will give students a superb opportunity to explore the natual beauty and examine the history, politics,and culture of Tanzania and Zanzibar. Zanzibar was the biggest slave trading post in East Africa. Students will learn about the Zanzibar slave trade among other topics.SITE VISITS
- Mt. Kilimanjaro
- Tanzanian National Musuem (Dar es Salaam)
- Kariokoo Market (Dar es Salaam)
- Kaole Ruins (Bagamoyo)
- Ngorongoro Crater (Serengeti Ecosystem)
- Mikumi National Park
- Arusha/Moshe Markets
- Reptile Sanctuary (Arusha)
- Maasai Cultural Musuem (Arusha)
- St. Monica Church Slave Trading Depot (Zanzibar)
- Stone Town (Zanzibar)
- Prison Island (Zanzibar)
- Palace Memorial (Zanzibar)
- Central Market, Old Fort, Ng'ambo, Darajani Creek (Zanzibar)
- House of Wonder (Beit el Jaib, Zanzibar)
- Said Sayyid Memorial (Zanzibar)
- Dolphin Adventure (Zanzibar: swim with dolphins in the Indian Ocean)
- Program Cost: includes tuition, lodging, food, visa, student travel insurance.