How to Become a Liberal Studies Major
We are happy to have all students become majors that have carefully considered whether Liberal Studies is the major for them. For this reason, we ask all potential change of major candidates to follow this process:
Attend a required Liberal Studies Change of Major Info Session. This happens twice a semester, excluding summer, during Thursday of the Week 2 and Tuesday of Week 9. The next one for Fall 2018 is Thursday, September 6, 2018 12-1pm in 6-211 and the second is Tuesday, October 25, 2018 in 6-211.
- RSVP to attend the session by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign in to verify attendance.
- Attend the session to learn whether the major is compatible with your academic and career goals.
- If ‘no’, we wish you the best luck finding a suitable major.
- If ‘yes’, complete the Change of Major e-form. Then, email email@example.com to notify the department that you intend to become a Liberal Studies major. We will verify you have attended the info session and you are in good standing with at least 2.0 overall GPA. If these are met, your form will be forwarded to the Department Chair for approval.
- Check your DPR a week later to see if your official major has been changed. If not, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Also, make an appointment to see a CEIS academic advisor to make a plan for graduation.
FAQ1: Can I see an advisor to determine whether this is a suitable the major for me?
Answer: Unfortunately, you cannot schedule an appointment to see an academic advisor until you are officially a LS major. We have over 700 students and need to make appointments available for them first. There are a few possibilities:
- CEIS College Advisors sometimes have drop-in hours, those you can attend as long as it is not during a registration period.
- CEIS Peer Advisors have been trained and can help. See this CEIS Peer Advising page for their available hours and location. You can also email email@example.com.
FAQ2: Can I fill out the change of major form before attending the info session?
Answer: Yes. Completing the form only indicates your intention. It will remain “on hold” until after the info session and you indicate your final decision. We will deny all change of major forms "on hold" two weeks after the info session date. If you attended a session and decided to change at a later time, inform the admin coordinator, who will verify your attendance, then submit the form again.
FAQ3: Can I take LS courses before I become an official major?
Answer: We don’t recommend it. In the event you attend the info session and decide not to become a major, you are strapped with a course that likely will not count toward the other major.
FAQ4: Can I become a LS major if my overall GPA is below a 2.0?
Answer: It depends. In this case, it is best to make an appointment with the department chair to discuss your situation. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment with Dr. Christina Chavez-Reyes. Come prepared to make your case for why becoming a Liberal Studies major is best for you and a plan for how you intend to increase your GPA.