Skip To Content

College of Education & Integrative Studies


Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my advisor?

Plese see our advising page.

What are the LS Department office hours?

During the regular academic year, the LS Department hours are:
Monday, Wednesday & Friday: 8: 30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. & 1:30 p.m. - 5 p.m.

For any questions call (909) 869-3567.
Summer hours may vary depending on the university's summer work schedule.

Can I substitute one class for another?

This is often a complicated question, because it may depend on your curriculum year and option. You must see first your curriculum advisor. Please do not rely on information from your friends, since they probably have different circumstances.

Do I have to see an advisor?

It is recommended that students see your advisor at least twice per year; some students will have to see an advisor more often. IN ADDITION, you should contact your advisor whenever you have a question; please do not rely on information from friends, since they probably have different circumstances.

How & when do I get a grad check?

Grad checks are done automatically and appear on your degree progress report. You need a concentration form on file, and need to have completed about 170 unites before the grad check will be done.

How do I know the classes to take for a concentration?

Your concentration will consist of 20 units of a single subject or theme. A concentration must be approved by your curriculum advisor, who will do the necessary paperwork as part of the advising process.

How many classes do I have left to graduate and what are they?

This is the most common question curriculum advisors are asked, but one for which each student should take responsibility. You should keep your curriculum sheet up-to-date by highlighting each class as you take it. Then count the number of UN-highlighted classes, divide by the number of classes you take per quarter, and you can figure out an approximate time until graduation.

What is a curriculum sheet?

This is the "yellow sheet" with three major columns listing all the classes you need to take to graduate. The three columns are labeled, left to right, "Core Courses", "Support Courses" and "General Education". You need to make sure you have the correct curriculum sheet -- the correct option and the correct curriculum year. You should have received this sheet at orientation, but we always have spares in the LS Dept. office.

I want to be a teacher. How do I do that?

For classes to take, you need to meet with your curriculum advisor. When you are near graduation with your BA, your curriculum advisor will ask you to attend one or more of the mandatory credential orientations. Check with the Student Services Office, 5-228, (909) 869-2300 for day, time and location.

OK, so what is an "acceptable" GPA?

The minimum GPA for “Good Standing” is 2.0 however this minimum is generally not high enough to get admitted into most graduate and credential programs. Most credential programs require a GPA of about 2.7 and most graduate schools require a GPA of 3.0 or higher .for admittance.

Students may attempt to improve their GPA by seeking Grade Forgiveness after repeating a course for which a grade lower than a C was received. Grade Forgiveness can be applied for a maximum of 16 quarter units.

I've been academically disqualified as DQ1. Can I get back in?

To find out more about this topic, please download this document. // file not found

I want to be a teacher. What about the CSET?

Isn’t the whole point of the Liberal Studies major to get out of that test? Here's the deal: Federal (not State) legislation called the No Child Left Behind law (NCLB, or "nickle-bee") requires that all elementary teachers pass a "rigorous state examination" of subject matter to be hired, which in California is the CSET.

OK, what does this mean to you? First, you still need a bachelor's degree to teach. The Liberal Studies curriculum will, in consultation with your curriculum advisor, have you take all the English, Math, Science, History/Social Science, PE, Fine Arts and Human Development courses that we believe prepare you for the CSET. The Liberal Studies subject matter courses and the CSET cover the same material; that is, the program and the test are both "aligned and congruent" with the same set of subject matter standards. So, if you stay in the Liberal Studies program for teachers, you will take the courses to prepare for the CSET while earning your bachelor's degree.

I want to be an English teacher. Why is being an English major a poor choice?

Well, you CAN be an English major, but an English major won't prepare you to pass the CSET -- only the Liberal Studies program for teaching will prepare you for the CSET. The CSET has LOTS of math and science, so unless you're a math/science whiz, you probably can't pass the CSET with the background you would get as an English major.

What else can I do with a Liberal studies Degree besides teaching?

Students in the Liberal Studies major will develop a broad knowledge base along with critical and interdisciplinary (knowledge from different academic disciplines) thinking skills to develop a broader and deeper understanding of the pressing issues humans face. It is also the most flexible degree on campus, allowing non-teaching Liberal Studies students to select 32 unrestricted elective units and a 20 unit concentration that supports their desired career or future academic goals. Students in the Liberal Studies major will get the opportunity to develop the very qualities employers are seeking, such as communication skills, analytical and research skills, flexibility and adaptability, interpersonal abilities, and multicultural sensitivity and awareness.

A bachelor’s degree in Liberal Studies can be used as preparation for several different careers, including:

  • Advertising Account Executive
  • Anchorperson
  • Archivist
  • College Recruiter
  • Community Relations Advisor
  • Copywriter Professor
  • Counseling Psychologist
  • Creative Writer
  • Editor Publicist
  • Educational Administrator
  • Entry-level Management Personnel
  • Grant Writer
  • Historian
  • Journalist
  • Legislative Assistant
  • Lobbyist
  • Medical Communications Trainer
  • Minister
  • Museum Manager
  • Non-profit Organizational Director
  • Para-Professional Librarian
  • Policy Analyst
  • Politician
  • Public Relations Personnel
  • Social Psychologist
  • Social Scientists
  • Social Services Human Relations Officer
  • Sociologists
  • Teacher
  • Training Specialist
  • Travel Agents
  • Urban Planner/City Manager

Additionally, a Liberal Studies degree may also be used to prepare for graduate study in these areas:

  • Business
  • Communication
  • Elementary/Middle School Education
  • English
  • History
  • Journalism
  • Library Science
  • Medical and Health Science
  • Natural Science
  • Psychology
  • Sociology
  • Speech

For more information about these types of careers or graduate programs, please visit the Career Center in Building 97, Rm 100 (909) 869-2342.

Back to Top