Admission Requirements & Applying
Unconditional Admission into the Geology Master’s program is contingent upon the following:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Geology or a closely related discipline (i.e. Geotechnical Engineering, Hydrology, Geophysics, Earth Science, Environmental Science) from an accredited institution, with a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 in Earth science courses, and a 2.5 grade-point-average in related science and mathematics courses.
- Satisfactory performance on the Graduate Record Examination Aptitude test with an expected score in the 50th percentile or better on the verbal and quantitative components.
- Two letters of recommendation
- A one-page personal statement of interest, including research and career aspirations.
- A minimum of 36 quarter units or
units of undergraduate coursework Geoscience-related disciplines (see Item #1 above). 24 semester
- Availability of faculty and resources in the student’s stated area of interest.
Applicants not meeting the above requirements may be conditionally admitted following review of the student’s academic background by the Graduate Program Committee. Such students must meet deficiency requirements stipulated in the statement of conditional admission within a specified time limit. Each such applicant, with an advisory committee, will design a program in the selected area of specialization based upon interests and preparation. The program will include required courses, elective units, and a thesis
|Important Dates for Graduate Applicants|
|Application Deadline||Supporting Document Deadline|
|Spring 2019||October 15,
||November 15, 2018|
April 1, 2019
May 1, 2019
For prompt feedback, also send hard copies (or electronic files) of your application and supporting materials to:
Dr. Jonathan Nourse, Graduate Coordinator
Department of Geological Sciences
Cal Poly Pomona
3801 W. Temple Ave
Pomona, CA. 91768