Admission Requirements & Applying
- Fill out the CSU Graduate Admission Application(pdf) and pay the application fee ($55) through CSU Apply online portal. (The application form may also be downloaded and filled out manually. Likewise, application fee can be paid with a personal check or money order payable to “Cal Poly Pomona.”)
- Fill out the MSHM application(pdf).
- A bachelor’s degree in hospitality management or closely related disciplines with a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 (Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in other disciplines are also eligible for the MSHM.*)
- Either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), although the GMAT (minimum score of 450) is highly recommended.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Resume and statement of purpose.
- At least one year of hospitality management experience is recommended.*
International Applicants Only:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 (80 on the Internet-based Test) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5. TOEFL/IELTS scores must be no more than two years old.
- A copy of picture page of passport.
- Fill out the Affidavit of Financial Support(pdf)
- Fill out the Health Insurance Agreement Form(pdf)
* Some prerequisites may be required based on undergraduate studies and hospitality/tourism industry backgrounds.
The curriculum of the Master of Science in Hospitality Management (MSHM) requires a minimum of 36 semester units. Students have the option to pursue a thesis track or professional track of study. A sample study plan (PDF) is available to show students a recommended flow of coursework.
Elective courses must be chosen from an approved list of hospitality elective courses. No more than 6 elective units may be transferred from another hospitality graduate institution or petitioned by an undergraduate student. A grade-point average of B (3.0) or better must be maintained in all graduate-level course work taken at the university.
The candidate must be enrolled in the university during the quarter of graduation. In addition, each MSHM candidate is responsible for satisfying all university requirements specified elsewhere in the university catalog.
The thesis option provides an excellent framework for students who are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. Students are required to complete 21 units of required courses, 9 units of elective courses and 6 units of master’s thesis.
For the thesis option, the thesis committee must be composed of three graduate faculty consisting of a major professor and two other committee members. The committee is selected by the student in consultation with a faculty advisor. The thesis proposal (3 units) is developed in consultation with the student’s faculty advisor and two other committee members.
An acceptable master’s thesis (3 units) must be completed and submitted in accordance with university regulations. An oral thesis defense must be successfully completed. Prior to the oral thesis defense, students with a thesis option are required to present his/her thesis in the Graduate Seminar scheduled by the graduate program director.
Professional Paper Option
The professional track option consists of 21 units of required courses, 12 units of elective courses and 3 units to complete a professional paper.
The professional paper must be approved by the candidate’s professional paper committee including major professor and two other graduate faculty members. The professional paper must be an exploratory, qualitative, or quantitative analysis of a management problem specific to the hospitality industry. Like the thesis option, the student electing the non-thesis option is required to present his/her professional paper in the Graduate Seminar before the final approval by his/her professional paper committee.
Send your complete application packet with all required documents to:
Office of Admissions & Outreach (Graduate Admissions)
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 W. Temple Ave. Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: (909) 869-2876, Fax: (909) 869-4529
Important Dates for Graduate Applicants
|Term of Application||Application Deadline||Supporting Document Deadline|
|Spring 2019||October 15, 2018||November 15, 2018|