Code of Conduct
Participants in the Summer Youth Programs at Cal Poly Pomona are expected to abide by the Code of Conduct, which states:
- Participants are expected to adhere to the highest standards of good citizenship, honesty, and integrity in their academic work and in their personal conduct.
- Participants are expected to show courtesy and respect for their fellow participants, for Cal Poly Pomona personnel, and for University visitors.
- Participants are expected to use language in a manner that is appropriate for a healthy learning environment. Obscene, derogatory, and abusive language is prohibited.
- Participants are expected to dress appropriately for an academic learning environment, and in a manner that reflects positively on them, Cal Poly Pomona Youth Programs and Cal Poly Pomona University.
- Participants are expected to come to class ready to learn, willing to participate in discussions and in possession of all required class materials, including notebooks, pens, pencils etc.
- Participants will show respect to classmates and instructors and will refrain from talking during classroom instruction. Excessive talking will not be tolerated.
- Participants shall not take part in or facilitate discrimination of any kind, including, but not limited to, discrimination based on gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, handicap, or intelligence.
- Participants are expected to show respect for and take reasonable care of University property, including their residences, dining halls, classrooms, and other Cal Poly Pomona facilities, equipment and furnishings (for instance, course materials, computers, sports equipment, street signs, and other structures in outdoor areas).
- Participants are expected to respect the belongings of their fellow participants. They shall not borrow, use, or disturb items belonging to other participants or summer staff without clear prior permission. Participants also are expected to respect the belongings of the participants and staff of other programs at Cal Poly Pomona and other Cal Poly Pomona visitors.
- Participants shall not use, possess, or distribute alcohol, tobacco, or drugs (including prescription and over-the-counter medications approved for use by the participants’ parent or guardian). Participation in an incident involving alcohol, tobacco, or drugs is cause for immediate dismissal, even if the participant did not consume or intend to consume these substances.
- Participants are expected to be well behaved and follow the instructions of the residential staff, instructional staff, and other University personnel. Unruly behavior will not be tolerated.
- Participants shall not commit acts of violence on persons or property, nor shall they threaten to commit any act of violence.
- Any behavior that could expose others to a high likelihood of injury or endangerment is prohibited. This includes horseplay, excessively aggressive athletic competition, etc.
- Participants shall not engage in any form of harassment, bullying, or hazing. Harassment consists of conduct of any type (including but not limited to cyber, written, verbal, graphic or physical conduct) which has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s academic or work performance, or which creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive learning, residential, or working environment.
- Participants shall not engage in any form of sexual harassment. Sexual harassment includes sexual conduct, or conduct with sexual overtones, which has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s academic or work performance or which creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive learning, residential, or working environment.
- Participants shall uphold high standards of academic integrity through honesty, trust, fairness and responsibility. Participants are expected to demonstrate a spirit of cooperation and exploration within the academic guidelines provided by their instructors, and to meet the intellectual challenges of the program through honest effort and hard work.
- Participants shall abide by all federal, state, and local laws.
- Participants are expected to know and to follow all rules listed in this Code of Conduct as well as the rules presented by the residential and instructional staff during the program.