Advising Success Tips
Check your Cal Poly Pomona email often
- Both the Communication Department and the Registrar’s Office send out emails frequently.
- Failing to check your email may cause you to miss important notices, such as when the Communication Department updates its rotation schedule.
- Add Cal Poly Pomona to your “safe sender” list to avoid getting important mail sent to your “junk” folder.
Check the academic calendar
- Use the academic calendar to help you plan your school year and save time.
- Keep track of important deadlines to avoid missing registration or advising dates that can negatively affect your ability to enroll in classes and ultimately delay your graduation.
- Note when school holidays are scheduled.
Familiarize yourself with the Registrar’s website
- The Registrar’s Office provides numerous resources on its website, including but not limited to academic policies and procedures, calendars and schedules, registration information, graduation information, transfer credit information, and almost all of the academic advising forms/petitions.
- While on the website, checkout Ask Billy, an advising search box for frequently asked questions.
Familiarize yourself with the Communication Department’s website
- The Communication Department’s website contains useful resources (e.g., forms, option requirements, and other helpful materials).
- The website also provides a directory of faculty members, including their contact information.
Familiarize yourself with the graduation process early in your senior year
- Keep track of your Degree Progress Report (DPR) to ensure all grades are posted on time.
- All grades for your classes must be posted before eligibility for graduation is granted.
- Keep in mind that COM 461 (the internship course) may take longer than other courses to post to your DPR.
- It is NOT recommended that you take COM 461 in your last quarter of school.
- Submit all forms and/or petitions at least 6 weeks prior to the deadline to apply for graduation. Petitions take time to be approved (or denied). Filing them early will ensure a flawless process.
- If by Spring Quarter, you need to complete 8 or fewer units to graduate, you are eligible to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- Up-to-date Graduation information is available online at https://www.cpp.edu/~registrar/graduation/.
- In Winter and Spring Quarters, the Registrar’s Office organizes graduation workshops for senior students. Check the link provided above to find when the next workshop is scheduled.