College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences

Instrument Rental Policy

Musical instruments are available for rental to support Cal Poly Pomona students and faculty in music department classes, ensembles and studios. These instruments are available to all music major students, all non-music major students who pay the music fee, and music faculty/staff if needed.

Renting an Instrument

Renting is a very straightforward process. All rentals are handled with the department Technician, located in the Music Building, room 24-201 (located down the hallway and up the stairs in between rooms 101 & 105). If you are not a music major, you will need to provide proof of payment of the $15 music fee before being allowed to rent. Receipt copies or screenshots of student account fees showing the application of the music fee are acceptable forms of proof.

Once at the technician’s office, you will be requested to read and fill out a rental agreement form. Lastly, with the technician you will go over included accessories, how to generally care of the instrument and when the instrument is due back.

Frequently Asked Questions

What instruments are available to rent?

The music department rents out all band instruments and bowed string instruments. Chamber instruments (such as harmony pitched instruments), acoustic and electric guitars and electric basses are only rented on a need basis. Please contact the department Technician for additional details on available instruments

Am I responsible for an instrument that is stolen, lost or damaged?

Yes. While the instrument is in your possession, you assume all responsibility for its well-being. If the instrument is lost or stolen you will be responsible for the replacement of a similar model instrument, as determined by the department. Damage beyond expected wear and tear must be repaired paid for by the student. Depending on your financial situation and the value of the instrument you may want to consider purchasing a liability insurance policy.

Is insurance available to purchase form the university?

Yes. All inquiries for recommended insurance policies should be referred to the Office of University Risk & Insurance Management. Your renter’s or homeowner insurance policy may extend to instrument rentals. Contact your insurer for details.

What is the cost to rent an instrument from the department?

All music majors are assessed a $15 music fee per semester, which is applied to your student financial account. As such, if you are a music major, no additional fees are needed to rent an instrument. If you are not a music major (this includes music minor students), the fee for renting an instrument is $15. This a la carte fee can be paid at the Student Accounting & Cashiering Services Office. 

What accessories are included with the instrument?

The instrument will be supplied with the necessary accessories to play on and perform basic upkeep on the instrument. This includes cases, mouthpieces, lubricants, cleaning swabs and rosin for bowed string instruments. 

The following accessories are not supplied by the department and you will need to provide your own: reeds, mutes, instrument stands.

How many instruments can I rent at one time?

Students can rent two instruments simultaneously without additional approval. Before additional rentals are allowed, students will need to make a written request to the department Technician stating specifically which additional instrument(s) will be needed and the ensemble or class the instrument will be used in.

What should I do if an instrument I need is not available for rental?

While the department makes all attempts to provide an instrument to all students, sometimes demand can exceed supply and certain instruments may not be available. Please contact the department Technician for information regarding alternate rental options.

How long can I rent an instrument?

The rental period (unless otherwise stated) is from the day you rent, through the last day of final exam week of the current term. All renters will receive information via email for information about renting for the following term.

I would like to practice over the summer. Can I rent an instrument over the summer?

In most cases summer rentals are not permitted. If certain qualifications are met (music major student and enrolled in a studio), select students may be allowed to rent during the summer break. All requests for summer rentals must be submitted to the department chair before the conclusion of the academic year.

I would like to rent an instrument, but I am not enrolled in any ensemble or fundamentals classes where I would use the instrument. Am I still allowed to rent?

While the instruments rented out by the music department are primarily used to support music department performing ensembles and fundamentals classes, general interest rentals are considered after demand for music department classes has been met. Before requesting a general interest rental, please contact the department Technician to verify availability.


Will Wright-Hooks

Music Department Technician