Job Opening in Comparative Politics
The Political Science Department in the College of Letters Arts and Social Sciences at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2016.
The faculty member will primarily teach undergraduate classes in Comparative Politics. All areas of specialization within Comparative Politics will be considered. The position requires excellence in teaching and advising, professional and scholarly achievements, and a commitment to service to the university and community. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. in Political Science or closely related discipline from an accredited university by September 1, 2016.
- university teaching experience.
- evidence of scholarly potential (such as conference presentations, publications, grant development).
- evidence of ability to work with and mentor a diverse student population.
Preference will be given to those with a specialization in either comparative political economy or the comparison of political systems (such as, but not limited to, democratization or human rights) and with demonstrable expertise in a particular geographic region. The ability to offer one upper-division IR course on a topic related to the candidate’s specialization would be a plus.
Electronic Application Procedure
A completed application will consist of:
- cover letter that describes the candidate's teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description. This must include a statement of teaching philosophy within a multicultural environment with examples of past experiences.
- a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position
- a completed application form;
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists)
- three recent letters of reference (to be submitted at: http://www.cpp.edu/~class/open-positions/applications/pls-letters.shtml )
- recent teaching evaluation summaries and sample syllabi if available
- please submit all electronic documents in PDF format
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received by September 1, 2015. Early response is encouraged. The online submission process can be accessed at: http://www.cpp.edu/~class/open-positions/applications/pls.shtml
Inquiries about the position can be addressed to:
Faculty Search Committee
c/o Sandra Emerson, Chair, Search Committee
Political Science Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Pomona, CA 91768
Email: email@example.com (Kim Alm, Administrative Coordinator)
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master's degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
The DepartmentThe Department of Political Science has over two hundred undergraduate political science majors and approximately ninety students in our NASPAA-accredited MPA program. We also offer a Political Science minor and participate significantly in the university's General Education offerings. The Department sponsors a Mock Trial Team with a history of national recognition. Members of the Department have traditionally been actively involved across campus and in the community.
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. Cal Poly Pomona hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university's annual security report is available athttp://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.