Create Your Kurzweil Login & Install the Software
Kurzweil 3000 text-to-speech software can help you read faster and improve your focus. You can use Kurzweil to read the web, including e-textbooks viewed through a browser. You can also open almost any electronic file type with Kurzweil 3000, including Word, PDF, HTML, EPUB, and many others.
Not sure what Kurzweil 3000 text-to-speech software can do for you? Click here to view a short video:
Anyone with a CPP email address can download and use Kurzweil for FREE!
With the campus license purchased by DRC, there are two ways you can use Kurzweil:
- Download and install the full Kurzweil 3000 software on your PC or Mac; or
- Use the web-based app (firefly) from any device connected to the internet.
Follow these steps to create your free Kurzweil account and download the software:
Create a free account with Kurzweil using your @cpp.edu address:
(Note: External ID is not required.)
You will receive a confirmation email from Kurzweil Education Customer Service with the subject "firefly Account Activated!" The email will contain your username and password, so SAVE this email!
Once you have your Kurzweil login, you are ready to use the firefly web application (kurzweil3000.com) from any device with a browser and an internet connection.
- For full functionality, install Kurzweil 3000 on your PC or MAC:
Download* the Web License version installer file:(* Note the installer files are very large and may take a long time to download, especially if your connection is slow.)
Install the software on your computer:
- Double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation process
- Follow the prompts to install the software on your hard drive
- Be sure to choose the Web License version, if asked
Log in to the software using your Kurzweil username and password. You will need to be connected to the internet the first time you log in. After that you will be able to use Kurzweil offline, if necessary.
- For help using Kurzweil, check out Kurzweil Academy (https://www.kurzweiledu.com/kurzweil-academy/kurzweil-academy.html). You can also find videos on how to install and use Kurzweil here: http://support.cambiumtech.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=1746
Please remember that although all CPP students have access to Kurzweil, only a small group of students registered with DRC are eligible for alternate media accommodations. Only students eligible for alternate media accommodations may receive their textbooks in Kurzweil format through DRC. Sharing Kurzweil files created by Alternate Media Services with other students is strictly prohibited, and may be reported to the CPP Office of Student Conduct & Integrity.
If you have any questions about creating a Kurzweil account, please contact Ann Loomis, Classroom & Accessibility Specialist at the Disability Resource Center. Ann can be reached by email at email@example.com.