Becoming a Tutor
This slideshow contains 1 slides that will change every 8 seconds. The first button is to play and pause the slideshow, followed by buttons to go to the previous slide, next slide, or choose individual slides.
ARCHES is hiring tutors for Fall 2017.
TUTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
ARCHES, a program under the Disability Resource Center (DRC), provides academic support services for Cal Poly Pomona’s students with disabilities. It is committed to enriching student experiences by providing academic and personal support to help facilitate graduation.
ARCHES employs on average of 10-12 peer tutors every quarter. ARCHES is always looking for motivated and responsible tutors in most academic areas. We typically offer tutoring in accounting, business, humanities, S.T.E.M, and writing. Please see below for a more detailed description of our Peer Tutor position.
- CPP junior (+ 90 units), senior, graduate student in good academic standing*;
- Minimum 2.5 overall GPA (3.0 or higher preferred);
- Must have received grade of “B-” or higher in courses tutored;
- Available to work the 2nd -11th week of the quarter;
- Available 5-20 hrs/wk, flexible hours between Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm;
- Attend 3-4 mandatory trainings on selected Fridays every quarter (TBD);
- Experience working with first-generation, low-income, and students with disabilities, desirable.
- Experience tutoring and knowledge of tutoring methods or theories, desirable but not mandatory.
*Transfer students must have completed a minimum of 1 quarter at CPP
Duties and Responsiblities
- Meet weekly with ARCHES participants in 1-on-1 tutoring sessions throughout the quarter.
- Assist tutees with understanding the connections between class lecture, course notes, and text materials; making connections between previously understood information and new material.
- Serve as a college role model by promoting a supportive & friendly environment for a diverse student population.
- Utilize technology and traditional learning aids to help students develop effective learning techniques and study strategies.
- Maintaining accurate records of tutorial sessions and student progress.
- Help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Attend 3-4 mandatory trainings every quarter.
Salary: $12.50 an hour
- Apply online using Cal Poly Pomona’s Foundation website, apply to 'ARCHES Peer Tutor' position;
- Attach a cover letter and resume that includes your Bronco ID, GPA, class standing (junior, senior, grad student), expected quarter/year of graduation, employment history, and two references;
- Attach your hours of availability for the current quarter;
- Attach a list of courses you wish to tutor.
- Once all documents have been submitted, ARCHES will review applications.
- Applicants will receive a notification regarding ARCHES decision to schedule an interview.
*Please Note: ARCHES typically begins the application process during the first 5 weeks each term. However, ARCHES will accept applications for future consideration throughout the academic year. You may email Julie Aguilera, Learning Specialist, at email@example.com for more information regarding applying.