Becoming a Tutor
This slideshow contains 1 slides that will change every 8 seconds. The first button is to play and pause the slideshow, followed by buttons to go to the previous slide, next slide, or choose individual slides.
ARCHES is hiring tutors for Fall 2018.
TUTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
ARCHES, a program under the Disability Resource Center (DRC), provides academic support services for Cal Poly Pomona’s students with disabilities. It is committed to enriching student experiences by providing academic and personal support to help facilitate graduation.
ARCHES employs on average of 10-12 peer tutors every term. ARCHES is always looking for motivated and responsible tutors in most academic areas. We typically provide tutoring in accounting, business, humanities, S.T.E.M, and writing. Please see below for a more detailed description of our Peer Tutor position.
- CPP junior (+ 90 qtr. units or +60 sem. units), senior, or graduate student in good academic standing*;
- Minimum 2.5 overall GPA (3.0 or higher preferred);
- Must have received a grade of “B-” or higher in courses tutored;
- Attend 5-7 mandatory
trainingson selected Fridays every term from 1-3pm;
- Experience working with first-generation, low-income, and students with disabilities, desirable.
- Experience tutoring and knowledge of tutoring methods or theories, desirable but not mandatory.
*Transfer students must have completed a minimum of 1 term at CPP
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the leadership of the Learning Specialist, Tutors will be responsible for the following:
- Meet weekly with ARCHES participants in 1-on-1 tutoring sessions throughout the term;
- Assist tutees with understanding the connections between class lecture, course notes, and text materials; making connections between previously understood information and new material;
- Serve as a college role model by promoting a supportive & friendly environment for a diverse student population;
- Utilize technology and traditional learning aids to help students develop effective learning techniques and study strategies;
- Maintaining accurate records of tutorial sessions and student progress;
- Help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Must be available to tutor the entire term, starting the 3rd week of classes until the 15th week*. Tutoring during finals week is optional.
- Ability to work 5-15 hours/week, flexible hours Monday-Friday between 8am-5pm.
- Attend 5-7 mandatory
trainingson selected Fridays every term from 1-3pm (TBD).
* This position is a term-long paid opportunity that can become a year-long position depending on my tutoring performance and subject need.
SALARY: $15.00 an hour
- Apply online using the Cal Poly Pomona’s Foundation website to ‘ARCHES Peer Tutor’ position;
- Attach a cover letter;
- Attach a resume that includes: your Bronco ID, GPA, class standing (junior, senior, grad student), expected term/year of graduation, and employment history;
- Provide two references (reference by
employeror professor preferred);
- Attach your hours of availability for the current term;
- Attach a list of courses you wish to tutor;
Once all documents have been submitted, ARCHES will review your application. Applicants will receive a notification regarding
APPLICATION DEADLINE**: Extended to Monday, October 8th (for fall 18 employment).
**Please Note: ARCHES typically begins recruiting tutors during the first 5 weeks each term. However, ARCHES will accept applications for future consideration throughout the academic year and hire year round (depending on need). If foundation online application is no longer available, contact the Learning Specialist about how to apply.