Students accepted into the ARCHES program are scheduled for an orientation with a Peer Advisor to discuss how to access the services available to program participants.
The Peer Advisors are also trained to work with the students on specific areas of concern: organizational strategies, decision making skills, financial planning and budgeting, general study skills, and time/life management such as individualized academic calendars for the quarter with important due dates for assignments and tests.
*To schedule an appointment with a Peer Advisor call (909) 869-2386 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
HIRING PEER MENTORS:
ARCHES offers a unique opportunity, which provides students in the Social Sciences and Humanities Departments an understanding of disabilities and how they affect students on campus.
Gain Skills/Experience In:
- Advising/Counseling, Attentive Listening, Interpreting Assessments through role play
- Observing Advising with Academic Advisors
- Training in disabilities, sensitivity/confidentiality, awareness, and laws
- Working with a diverse population of college students
- Junior Standing (90 units) in good academic standing
- Strong desire to learn and help students
- Psychology, Sociology, or Liberal Studies major with strong desire to pursue helping professions
- Committed to contract for the entire 2015-2016 academic year
- Maximum 20 hours/week (schedule TBD)
- Mandatory training: Monday, 9/7/15-Friday, 9/18/15 from 9am-3pm and some Friday’s from 1-3pm