Don B. Huntley College of AgricultureThe Apparel Merchandising & Management Department in the College of Agriculture at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona(Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2018. Candidates with specializations in retail management are especially welcomed to apply.
The PositionThe new faculty member will develop and teach state-of-the-art undergraduate and graduate classes in two or more of the following areas: omni-channel retail management, emerging retail technologies, international business, and sourcing/supply chain management for the apparel industry. The position requires excellence in teaching and advising, professional and scholarly achievements, and a commitment to service to the University. The successful candidate will demonstrate leadership potential for the advancement of their area within the Department. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Doctorate in retail merchandising, textiles/apparel technology or management, or a related field from an accredited university by August 1, 2018.
- Demonstrated understanding of the apparel pipeline from fiber to market.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Evidence of scholarly potential (publications, working papers, scholarly presentations).
- Demonstration of ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and/or service, and of commitment to teaching and working in a multicultural environment.
- State of the art knowledge in their field.
- Conversant with emerging technologies impacting business processes in the apparel and textile field.
- Demonstrated ability in apparel consumer behavior, branding and marketing strategies in the fashion industry.
- University teaching experience.
- Previous industry experience.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance close relationships with companies and professional organizations.
- An educational and scholarship focus on apparel or textiles.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new opportunities for curriculum development and scholarship in an innovative learning environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop external funding to support scholarship.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute towards the delivery of a graduate program in International Apparel Management.
A completed application package will consist of:
- a cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
- a Student Success Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced);
- a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- a completed application form; (can be downloaded from https://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication_feb2017.pdf)
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists); and finalists for the position will be required to provide three recent letters of reference
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than January 7, 2018. Early response is encouraged.
Please address inquiries and send all application materials to:
Faculty Search Committee
c/o: Dr. Jiangning Che
Apparel Merchandising and Management Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 W. Temple Ave
Pomona, CA 91768
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
About the Department
AMM offers a B.S. degree in Apparel Merchandising and Management with Options in Fashion Retailing, Apparel Production and Textiles. AMM is a dynamic and innovative program. Through close relationships with industry, students learn both theory and practice, combining them to develop a sophisticated understanding of the business, technical, and social aspects of apparel production, distribution, and consumption. This synthesis prepares them for leadership in their chosen career paths. Currently, there are approximately 400 AMM majors http://www.cpp.edu/~amm. The AMM program is located within the College of Agriculture http://www.cpp.edu/~agri/.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available a http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.