Student Health and Counseling Services
Student Health & Counseling Services at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) is pleased to offer 2 Postdoctoral Psychology Fellow positions. This Counseling Services training site offers opportunities to work with a collaborative team providing integrative models of treatment and experiences to meet the needs of a multicultural and diverse student population. The fellowship is an 11-month full-time position from September 15 2017 to August 10, 2018.
This position affords the postdoctoral fellow training and experience in fulfilling the multiple roles of a university counseling mental health professional in a stimulating, university counseling, health, and wellness atmosphere where psychologists, therapists, and student health staff work together to break down barriers to students’ success. Under the supervision of licensed psychologists, the post-doctoral fellow will provide brief model individual, couples, and group therapy, conduct intake evaluations, provide crisis intervention, make referrals to community providers as well as provide outreach programs and consultation to the campus community.
The fellow will attend weekly case consultation and treatment planning meetings with senior staff/supervisors for case supervision as well as bi-monthly staff meetings. The fellow will receive weekly individual and group supervision from licensed psychologists commensurate with California State Board of Psychology licensure requirements for postdoctoral hours. Fellows are required to record their counseling sessions to enhance supervision and to make formal case presentations to staff. Fellows also have opportunities to pursue various professional development activities (e.g., continuing education, university sponsored training).
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DURING TRAINING YEAR
Direct Services Duties (approx. 60 – 62.5 %)
- Provide brief, time-limited individual, couples, and group therapy (process and psycho-education) to university students presenting with a broad range of developmental issues and clinical symptoms.
- Provide intake evaluations and crisis interventions within the scope of practice delineated by the primary clinical supervisor and training coordinator.
Indirect Services Duties and Supervision (approximately 37.5 – 40 %)
- Provide consultation and outreach/educational programming to the university community within the range of activity delineated by the primary supervisor, training coordinator, and outreach coordinator.
- Participate in activities to build campus relations.
- Maintain timely electronic clinical records in accordance with legal and ethical standards.
- Participate in clinical staff meetings and committee work as needed.
- Participate in weekly supervision in accordance with licensure laws and regulations of the California Board of Psychology.
STIPEND AND BENEFITS
The salary is $35,385 for a 10.5-month appointment ($3370/month). University benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, 13 paid holidays, paid sick and vacation days.
The postdoctoral fellow will conduct services on the same premises with senior supervising staff and have his/her own equipped, confidential counseling office.
- Candidates to have completed a doctoral degree in Counseling or Clinical Psychology and to have completed a psychology doctoral internship.
- Experience working with the TAY (transitional age youth) or young adult population.
- Experience in providing brief psychotherapy.
- Completion of an APA-accredited doctoral program.
- Completion of an APA-approved doctoral internship.
- Experience working in a university counseling center.
- Demonstrated interest in working with a diverse, multicultural university population.
- Experience with crisis assessment and intervention.
Application materials should include:
1) Cover letter with specific goals for the postdoctoral fellowship
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Copy of graduate transcripts (official confirmation of degree required for hire)
4) A list of the names and current contact information of three recent clinical supervisor references
5) One writing sample (e.g., a clinical intake evaluation, a treatment summary)
6) Completed Employment Form, found at:
Please submit all application materials electronically to:Counseling Services, Post-Doctoral Fellows Search Committeec/o Leslie Taylor-Contla3801 W. Temple Ave, 66-116Pomona, CA 91768E-mail to: email@example.com
Fax to: (909) 869-6775Phone: (909) 869-3220
The position is open until filled. Consideration will be given to completed applications submitted by the initial review deadline of July 7th 2017. Early response is encouraged.
A background check must satisfactorily be completed before a candidate can be offered this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for this position. The background check consists of the following: Employment and education verifications, reference checks, and checks of the following systems and databases: National Social Security Number/Address Locator, Felony/Misdemeanor Record, National Criminal Database, Federal Criminal Record, Department of Motor Vehicles Driving Record, and National Sex Offender Registry.
Effective September 1, 2017, the Cal Poly Pomona campus will become a smoke-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available a http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.