Assistant Professor, Computer Science
College of ScienceThe Computer Science Department in the College of Science at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for one tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2018.
The PositionThe department seeks candidates who strive for excellence in teaching, professional and scholarly achievements in the area of expertise. The new faculty is expected to teach a broad range of courses in computer science at both graduate and undergraduate levels, develop new courses in areas of expertise, plan, conduct and secure funding for collaborative or independent research, and actively engage in department curricular, advising, outreach and assessment activities. The new faculty will be asked to serve on department, college and university committees. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related area by Aug. 1, 2018.
- Specialization in Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Computer Graphics, Game Development and/or related areas.
- Demonstrated commitment to actively engage in the teaching, research and curricular development activities of the department at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Demonstrate a commitment to contribute, teach, and engage in a multicultural environment with a diverse student body.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills.
- Ability to articulate complex subject matter to students at all educational levels.
- Ability to teach a broad range of courses.
A completed application will consist of:
- a completed application form available at: http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication_feb2017.pdf;
- a cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
- a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of five individuals (at least three) who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- a statement of the applicant’s goals in the area of teaching which includes how the candidate would promote student success when working with a diverse student population.;
- a list of graduate and undergraduate courses the applicant would prefer teaching;
- a statement of the applicant’s goals in the area of research;
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript required before the formal offer);
- three recent letters of reference (may be copies or email); and
- applicants invited to campus will be required to lecture in a class and give a scholarly presentation.
Please address all nominations, inquiries, requests for application forms, and application materials to:
Faculty Search Committee c/o Dr. Amar Raheja
Computer Science Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.3440 FAX: 909.869.4733 Email: email@example.com
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
About the Department
The Computer Science Department offers B.S. and M.S. degrees and has 14 tenured/tenure-track faculty and 14 lecturers. The B.S. program in Computer Science is accredited by ABET. Several computing laboratories support instruction and research and are integrated with central University IT services. Linux and Windows environments are available. More information about our instructional program is available at http://www.cpp.edu/~cs/.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available a http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.