Who We Are
Working as close partners, the Faculty Center and eLearning are dedicated to Cal Poly Pomona's mission of providing an outstanding education to all our students, with a special focus on providing resources to enhance faculty work and life.
We support all faculty in learner-centered teaching, research and creative activities, and service to the university and community. We are a resource for faculty to find and use the best technologies in pedagogically excellent ways to support student learning.
Our vision is that every Cal Poly Pomona faculty member receives opportunities and encouragement to enhance their skills in disciplinary expertise, effective educational practices, and effective service practices and opportunities. Every faculty member on this campus should have access to a community of scholars and colleagues.
The staff of the Faculty Center and the members of the Faculty Development Advisory Committee are committed to the following values related to the multi-faceted roles of faculty:
- We value deep learning. We believe that faculty can foster student learning through careful preparation, effective feedback, and excellent course design.
- We value creative scholarship. We value time to produce scholarship, including the scholarship of teaching and learning, and we support faculty in developing strategies for the most effective and efficient use of time.
- We value a shared understanding of and responsibility for the university community. We believe in fostering community among all members of the university, especially to accomplish collaborative work that is intellectually rewarding. We value opportunities to support faculty in creating rich careers that include sustainable work-life balance.
- We believe that learning drives technology. Technology choices are carefully curated to support cognitive, affective, and psychomotor functions that lead to learning.
- We believe that learning should be accessible to all. We value universal design for learning solutions and strive to incorporate legal accessibility solutions throughout a project.
- We value research-based recommendations. We base recommendations on current knowledge about pedagogical strategies and available technologies.
- We value professionalism. We take pride in the quality of our work, which includes attending to the quality of your experience with us. We strive to be responsive, respectful, and thorough.
- We value relationships with faculty and the collaborative instructional design process. We take time to explore goals and needs thoroughly, not jumping to premature solutions. We take time to evaluate and redesign solutions when necessary.
- We value the instructional design culture. We encourage a community of learning, in which ideas and best practices are unselfishly shared for the good of our mission.
The Faculty Development Advisory Committee (FDAC) members are elected from each college and confirmed by the Faculty Senate for 3-yr terms. For 2018-2019, FDAC members are:
- Don B. Huntley College of Agriculture — Marcus Elam
- Business Administration — Anthony Orlando
- Collins College of Hospitality Management — Linchi Kwok
- Education & Integrative Studies — David Neumann
- Engineering — Haamun Kalaantari
- Environmental Design — Sooyun Im
- Letters, Arts, & Social Sciences — Eleonora Rossi
- Library —
- Science — Nina Abramzon
- Ex officio — Martin Sancho-Madriz, AVP for Faculty Affairs
eLearning Advisory Committee
The eLearning Advisory Committee is appointed by the Academic Senate, with a goal of including 2 representatives from each College.