We're thrilled to bring Dr. Linda Nilson, emerita Clemson University, back to Cal Poly Pomona! Linda first visited in 2013. She's the prolific and practical author of some of our favorite books and articles about teaching, including Creating Self-Regulated Learners (2013), Teaching at Its Best, now in its 4th edition (2016), and Creating Engaging Discussions (2018) (plus, oh, about 5 more!). Linda's work is based in her rigorous examinations of the research literature. Most recently, her book Online Teaching at Its Best (2018) seemed like a perfect fit. You’ll be pleasantly surprised to learn just how much about online teaching is relevant to great face to face teaching, and vice versa.
Linda's delightfully engaging and active workshop will help you to:
- Distinguish myth from reality about differences between face-to-face and online courses
- Design a tightly aligned course for any environment
- Organize online course materials to help students find them easily
- Apply cognitive science to online materials
- Enhance student motivation in in online and hybrid environments
- Create a sense of community and interactivity in online environments
As a special bonus, we’ll also have the winners of the 2019 Wall of COOL awards give brief presentations about their inspiring ideas!