Use of Private Vehicle

Any employee driving a private vehicle on official State business must possess a valid drivers license appropriate to the type of vehicle driven, and must ensure that all occupants of the vehicle use safety belts.

You also must have satisfactorily completed a CSU approved defensive driving course and have not been issued more than three moving violations or have been responsible for more than three accidents (or any combination of more than three thereof) during the past 12 month period.

Appropriate campus officials are responsible for requiring that employees have adequate liability insurance coverage. You must have a current Privately-Owned Vehicle Insurance Certificate form STD 261 on file with your supervisor.

The minimum prescribed liability insurance coverage is as follows:

  • $15,000 for personal injury to, or death of, one person
  • $30,000 for injury to, or death of, two or more persons in one accident;
  • $5,000 for property damage.

Employees who operate their private vehicle on official State Business can claim mileage as reimbursement for the use of the vehicle.