Credential Program Financial Aid


Students in the Credential Program are considered 5th year undergraduate students, not post baccalaureate, for Financial Aid purposes. Students must enroll in 12 units per semester to be considered full-time, and are subject to undergraduate level loan limits.  The types of financial aid available to students pursuing a teaching credential are very specific and different from undergraduate or graduate aid types.

To be considered for financial aid, Credential students must complete a financial aid application: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California DREAM Act Application (CADAA).

When completing your financial aid application, the questions below should be answered in the following manner:

  • Degree/Certificate - Teaching Credential
  • Current Grade Level - 5th yr other UG
  • Graduate Student - No

Admission Requirements

Once a Credential student is admitted into the Credential program (Submitted their Program Admissions Packet), they may be eligible for grant aid, depending on their EFC.

Students with dual enrollment as a credential and masters student, are considered graduate students for financial aid purposes. You need to be in the Credential Program (only) to be considered for Pell Grant.

Enrollment Requirements

Financial Aid Enrollment requirements for Credential students vary depending on the types of aid you are eligible to receive. All types of aid available require a credential student to be enrolled in at least 6 units.

Financial Aid Available

View our Credential Student- Types of Aid Page to see financial aid eligibility and requirements.

Financial Aid is only paid on those units required by the State to get your Initial Credential (Single Subject, Multiple Subject, or Education Specialist). A list of these classes is provided by the College of Education and Integrative Studies

2nd Teacher Credential Program Students (Administrative Service Credentials and Specialist Credential Students with a prior Credential) are only eligible for Private Loans.  They are NOT ELIGIBLE for any grants or federal loans. 


Financial Aid will automatically disburse 10 days before the beginning of each semester for students enrolled in at least 12 credential units. For students enrolled in fewer than 12 semester units, classes will be reviewed following census to determine if they are required credential courses. If not, your financial aid will be adjusted, and you may owe funds back to the University.

Here is a listing of the Required Credential Classes for Pell Awards (DOCX).

Teacher Loan Forgiveness and Forbearance Programs

For more information on the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.

The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Application  is used to evaluate an FFEL Program or a Direct Loan Program borrower's eligibility for up to $5,000 in forgiveness benefits for highly qualified teachers or up to $19,000 for highly qualified mathematics, science, and special education teachers.

The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Forbearance form  is used to determine forbearance eligibility for FFEL or Direct Loan borrowers who are completing their teaching service requirements before applying for teacher loan forgiveness.

Academic Progress

Students in the Credential Program must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements in order to remain eligible for financial aid.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I already have one credential & now I am working toward another credential, am I eligible for financial aid?
A: You will only be eligible for Private Loans.

Q: I am taking classes to prepare for the CSET, am I eligible for financial aid?
A: Students taking classes to prepare for tests are not eligible for financial aid.

Q: I am in the blended program am I considered an undergraduate or post graduate?
A: You are considered an undergraduate student for financial aid funding until you receive your first BA or BS degree.