Cold/Flu Comfort Measures
So now you know you have a cold or flu, and you just have to “stick it out” until you feel better. Although there are no medical cures or antibiotics to speed up the healing process, there are several steps you can take to help you start to feel better.
- REST: We know you heard it all your life, but getting enough sleep to feel rested allows your body to better fight the cold or flu virus.
- DRINK FLUIDS: Drink plenty of fluids (6-8 glasses a day), especially hot ones, to maintain hydration and loosen the congestion.
- GARGLE with warm salt water (1/4—1/2 tsp. salt per 8 oz. warm water) to soothe a sore throat
- BREATHE the steam from hot beverages and soups, or take a hot shower with steam to loosen or reduce nasal congestion.
- CAMPHOR/MENTHOL rubs (Vicks Vapor Rub) can also help relieve nasal congestion.
- AVOID ALCOHOL: Alcohol lowers the body’s defense against the cold virus.
- AVOID SMOKING: Cigarette smoke impedes the process of clearing mucus from the airways.
- RELIEVE SYMPTOMS: Use over-the-counter medications as needed to relieve symptoms. Go to Over-the-counter pharmacy items page for common drug store items available in our pharmacy.