Medical FAQs

Do I have to pay to use the services?

There are no co-pays. Every Cal Poly Pomona student pays a health fee that covers unlimited visits with medical providers; X-rays; routine lab work (performed in our own laboratory); minor surgical procedures; and Health Education services.

If you are a Continuing CPP Student (have attended classes at least 1 semester previously, are not enrolled in the current semester, and intend to resume classes the following semester), you will be charged 1/3 of the current health fee each visit until you have incurred the equivalent of the health fee. Payment may be made with cash, check, Mastercard or Visa at the time services are rendered. Occasionally, you may incur charges for services not covered by your health fee. You will be required to pay for these at the time they are rendered. We do not bill any outside insurance providers.

Where are you located on campus?

We are located in Bldg. 46, at the top of University Drive, across from ENV and next to Parking Lot J. We have patient parking available next to our building.

How late are you open? Are you open on Saturdays?

Health Services (Bldg. 46) is open Monday through Friday & quarter breaks, 8am to 5pm. Closed weekends and university holidays. During Summer Quarter, we are open Monday through Thursday, 7am to 6pm.

For those times when we are closed, please call our After Hours Nurse Advice Line (855-272-1723) to speak to a caring professional about your concerns.

Should I make an appointment to use your services?

Yes, whenever possible. We strongly encourage you to go online through My Health Portal to make a same day appointment, or call to make an appointment so that we may better plan your visit to ensure as little waiting as possible. Appointments are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on the urgency of the situation. Call our main number at (909) 869-4000 and speak to a receptionist. We make every attempt to accommodate you, based on the schedule of clinicians and their available hours. AND BE SURE TO GIVE US YOUR BEST PHONE NUMBER so we can reach you if needed.

However, if you injure yourself or have an urgent medical situation, you may come in that day and be seen in our Acute Care department. You will still need to check in at the Registration Desk at which time they will give you an appointment time that day. Depending on the number of patients ahead of you, there may be some delays in seeing a doctor.

How do I get a copy of my medical records?

Medical records are confidential and can only be released with signed consent from the patient (if 18 and older) or their parent or guardian (if 17 or younger). Please see our Medical Records web page for more information.

I have an Immunization Hold on my record, what should I do?

As mandated by the California State Legislature, you will need to show us proof that you have immunity to certain diseases, either through previous immunizations or infections. Please read our "Required Immunizations" page for more details. This requirement must be met BEFORE YOU REGISTER FOR YOUR SECOND QUARTER TERM.

If you are unable to provide this documentation either through records or a blood test, you must be immunized. Please call the Immunization Hotline at (909) 869-2759 for current updates. Health Services administers all immunizations by appointment (call 909-869-4000 for appointment and pricing).

What should I do if I think I broke a bone?

Health Services is licensed for "Ambulatory Care," which means you need to be able to walk in on your own. If you think you've broken a bone, are not in extreme pain, and are still able to walk in unassisted, a doctor will examine you and take X-rays, as needed. There is no charge for the exam or X-rays.

Because we have no Orthopedist on staff, you may be referred to a hospital or other outside provider for further treatment, depending on the severity of your injury. If you think you have broken your leg, or are in extreme immediate pain, you need to go directly to a hospital to have your injury addressed in a timely manner.

Do you offer TB testing?

Yes, we do free tuberculosis testing Monday through Friday (except Thursday, since we are closed on weekends when it would need to be read). It is free of charge for currently enrolled CPP students. You need to call 909-869-4000 and make a Nurse visit for TB testing. The test requires two visits. The first appointment is to administer the test and a second appointment 48 hrs later to read the test.

Can I get tested for STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections)?

Routine STI testing is available free of charge but can involve a number of different tests or screens. THERE IS NO ONE TEST OR SCREEN THAT DOES IT ALL! You will need to make an appointment with a clinician so that they can review your situation and order the appropriate tests or screenings. You can also make this type of appointment online using My Health Portal.

Do I have to pay for medications or lab work?

We sell prescription medications at the cost of the medication plus a small packaging fee. We also sell at cost non-prescription (“Over-the-Counter”) items most commonly carried in drug stores. Our prices are usually 50-75% less than what you would have to pay at an outside pharmacy. 

Most of our laboratory work is done at our own lab, and you will not be charged for this. Any lab work that is sent to an outside testing facility would require an additional fee. We contract with an outside agency who charges a reduced rate and we pass that savings on to you. 

Payment for any items or services are due at the time they are ordered, and may be paid with cash, check, Mastercard or Visa. We do not bill insurance carriers.

Do you offer birth control options?

Condoms are sold at the Wellness Center at 10 for $1, and do not require any pre-appointments (Like "Cal Poly Wellness Center" on Facebook, and get 6 FREE condoms each week!). Other at-cost birth control supplies are available at our pharmacy with a prescription from a clinician.

All patients considering birth control for the first time in several years, or who have never had a pelvic exam before, must make an appointment to complete a free Birth Control Options class (including information on Emergency Contraceptives) before their appointment with a clinician. These classes fully explain youroptions and give you an opportunity to ask important questions about your health. The class is administered online through Blackboard.

I think I may have had unprotected sex. What should I do?

If you think you may be at risk for pregnancy and need Emergency Contraception, and you are 17 or over, you can go to the Pharmacy at Student Health Services (or any other pharmacy) and ask for Emergency Contraception (A state-issued photo ID along with your birthdate is required). You should also make an appointment with a clinician to talk about STD screening.

Can my spouse, significant other, or dependents be treated here?

No. Our services are only available to registered Cal Poly Pomona students who pay a health fee as part of their tuition. Other current CSU students may also use our basic services at no additional charge.

Do you have an eye doctor?

No. However, we will assist you in finding an appropriate provider near by. Visit our Insurance page for more insurance options.

Do you have a dentist?

No. However, we will assist you in finding an appropriate provider near by. If you carry dental insurance, we will help you locate a dentist within your plan. Visit our Insurance page for more insurance options.

Do you have a dermatologist?

No. You can make an appointment to see a clinician to discuss any skin related issues. If needed, we will refer you to an outside dermatologist.

Do you have a CAT Scan or an MRI?

These costly, sophisticated machines require specialists who will perform the tests and interpret the results. Should your clinician recommend these tests, you will be referred to an outside provider.