Survivor Advocacy Services
If a student, staff, or faculty has experienced sexual abuse, dating/domestic abuse, or stalking and are seeking confidential support, they have several options:
- Survivor Advocacy Services in Bldg. 66-116 has a professional Survivor Advocate Services Coordinator who can speak with them one-on-one and offer a supportive, confidential, and nonjudgmental atmosphere where survivors are encouraged to make their own decisions to address their situation. Call 909-869-2196.
- If they do not feel comfortable going to the Survivor Advocate Services Coordinator, there are also confidential Peer Advocates, Gerardo Murillo and Jessica Gallegos, available by appointment only at building 66.
- If they are seeking further support in regards to sexual abuse (including court and/or hospital accompaniments), they may contact the local rape crisis center, Project Sister Family Services.
- If they are seeking support in regards to dating/domestic abuse (including court and/or hospital accompaniments), they may contact the local domestic violence shelter House of Ruth.
Emergency consultation and crisis counseling is available to Cal Poly Pomona students in person during normal business hours and by telephone after business hours. Major life stressors may necessitate the need to talk to someone immediately. If a person is feeling overwhelmed or struggling with feelings of sadness or emotional pain due to an urgent concern, they may walk into the counseling services office (Bldg. 66-116) to be seen by a professional counselor.
We understand that an urgent need to talk to someone can happen outside of our regular business hours. To help students in these situations, crisis phone counselors are available. Students can call the Counseling Services phone number, (909) 869-3220, press option 2 and be connected to a trained phone counselor for assistance. A Cal Poly counselor may follow up with them the next day regarding their use of after-hours support and to offer additional resources. Students may also contact the Project Sister Family Services 24 Hour Hotline, (909) 626-4357, to speak to a trained advocate regarding sexual abuse or the House of Ruth 24 Hour Hotline, (909) 988-5559, to speak to a trained advocate regarding domestic/ dating abuse.
If a student, staff, or faculty is interested in a presentation, workshop, or discussion on topics of sexual abuse, dating/ domestic abuse, and/or stalking they may contact:
- Survivor Advocate Services Coordinator Naomi Chu
- Peer Violence Prevention Advocates, call 909-869-2196