Kellogg Honors College Policies
Program RequirementsStudents must meet the following requirements to maintain good standing in the Kellogg Honors College.
- GPA: KHC students must maintain a minimum 3.30 Cal Poly Pomona GPA (CPP GPA). The CPP GPA is a cumulative GPA calculated using all coursework completed at Cal Poly Pomona. Transfer GPA is not factored. Students with CPP GPAs between 3.00-3.29 are placed on GPA probation. Students with CPP GPAs below 3.00 are dismissed from the Kellogg Honors College.
- CPP's eHelp has an online GPA calculator to project how grades will affect future GPA
- Honors Courses: Students must complete a minimum number of honors courses upon graduation from Cal Poly Pomona. The minimum number is based on when students were admitted to the KHC. There is no limit on the number of honors courses students can take. All Honors students MUST take at least one honors course (more if possible) during each of their first four semesters in honors; NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Freshmen admits: 7
- Sophomore admits: 5
- Transfer admits: 4
- Capstone Project: The capstone is an independent research project typically done in students' final year at Cal Poly Pomona. It earns honors course credit and counts toward the minimum number of honors course required (above). Students are required to present their capstone projects at the annual KHC Convocation event.
- Units: 24units of Cal Poly Pomona semester coursework must be completed every academic year.
- Civic Engagement (CE): Students must complete a minimum number of CE credits per year based on how they were admitted to the KHC. Students who complete more than the minimum CE credits may rollover extra credits toward next year's requirements, but students must complete at least 1 CE credit every year regardless of rollover credits.
- Freshman admits: 3 CE credits in the first year, plus another 3 CE credits in the second year. Starting the third year students must complete 1 CE credit every year.
- Sophomore admits: 3 CE credits in the first year of the KHC, then 2 CE credits in the second year. Starting the third year students must complete 1 CE credit every year.
- Transfer admits: 3 CE credits in the first year. Starting the second year, students must complete 1 CE credit every year.
- New Student Meetings: New students to the KHC are required to come into the honors program office once per semester for their first year for a 15 minute meeting with the director and the academic coordinator.
Registering for Honors Courses
The majority of honors courses are General Education (GE) courses, thus students are encouraged to conserve GE coursework for their honors course requirement. Registration for honors courses is done on BroncoDirect.
Priority registration is available to KHC students who enroll in honors courses. KHC students must enroll and complete at least one honors course for the semester they receive priority registration. Failure to enroll and complete an honors course upon receiving KHC priority registration approval will result in the permanent loss of future priority registration privileges from the KHC. The KHC will notify students every semester of deadlines to receive priority registration. Students on probation with the KHC are not eligible to enroll in honors courses during the Priority Registration period.