First-Year Student Residential Requirement
All first-time freshmen who graduated from a high school outside the local service area are required to complete a housing contract (student housing license agreement) and pay the initial housing fee to be eligible to enroll for classes. Assignments for housing will be based on a first-come, first-served, space available basis. You must be an admitted student to complete a housing contract. To submit a contract, please go to: http://www.csupomona.edu/~housing/housing-options/apply-housing.shtml.
Local area school districts
Cal Poly Pomona is committed to enhancing our students’ experiences, persistence and graduation rates. Studies consistently show that student engagement and learning occurs both in and out of the classroom (Astin, 1993). For out-of-classroom learning, the Residence Halls are one of the most important places for students to encounter and experience social and cultural development, civic engagement, citizenship and leadership (Astin, 1991). Learning outside of the classroom also occurs through participation in student organizations and involvement in recreational and educational events. Living on campus encourages engagement and provides ready access.
|Azusa Unified||Glendora Unified|
|Baldwin Park Unified||Hacienda-La Puente Unified|
|Bassett Unified||LA County of Education*|
|Bonita Unified||Pomona Unified|
|Chaffey Joint Union High||Rowland Unified|
|Charter Oak Unified||Upland Unified|
|Chino Valley Unified||Walnut Valley Unified|
|Claremont Unified||West Covina Unified|
* International Polytechnic High School located on Cal Poly Pomona campus
Local area private schools: Bishop Amat Memorial High (Catholic), Damien High (Catholic), Don Bosco Technical Institute (Catholic), LutheranHigh, Ontario Christian, Pomona Catholic, St. Lucy’s Priory, Webb School and Western Christian Schools
If your school district is NOT listed above, the residential requirement applies to you.
Cost and affordability?
Eligible students will receive a financial aid award reflecting the additional costs of living on campus. Students with complete financial aid applications may be notified as early as April – it is advised to complete all necessary paperwork as early as possible and before all deadlines.
For financial aid information: http://www.csupomona.edu/~financial-aid/index.shtml.
To view the Housing Cost Tables, please visit: http://www.csupomona.edu/~housing/payment/cost-tables.shtml.
Exemptions from the residential requirement will be considered based upon the criteria listed below. You must be admitted to the university before an exemption request can be submitted. All requests must be submitted online to the university Housing Office along with supporting documentation (see below). If you are under the age of 18 requesting an exemption, you must also submit a letter from a parent or guardian indicating awareness of and consent to the exemption request to live off-campus. To apply for an exemption, please use this link: https://housing.csupomona.edu/Studentweb/Default.asp. This will require your BroncoName and password.
- 21 years of age – Students who are at least 21 years of age by the first day of classes may request an exemption. Birth certificate will be required.
- Current active military or veteran status – A copy of DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (if a veteran) or written proof of current active military duty is required.
- Married, domestically partnered, and/or with legally dependent children – Copies of the marriage certificate or certificate of registration of domestic partnership, verification of dependent child or child's birth certificate are required.
- Independent student status – Student must have been declared as an independent student for the past two calendar years and not claimed as a tax exemption by their parent(s) during the same period. Verification is required.
- Medical and disability circumstances – Exemption requests for medical or disability reasons will be forwarded to Student Health Services and/or the university’s Disability Resource Center (DRC). These offices will take action on the request and notify the University Housing Office.
- Other – Special circumstances for which living on campus would create a substantial personal hardship will be considered. Verification of the special circumstances is required. Financial hardship will be considered only in cases of extreme circumstances and only after financial aid options have been exhausted.
- Complete the license agreement for the corresponding Academic Year– The Student License Agreement (application) must be completed online on the Housing StudentWeb before you can submit your Exemption Request Form. (You will automatically receive access to the license agreement at the time you are admitted to the university.)
- Complete the exemption request form – The Exemption Request link will appear on your Housing Student Web once you have submitted your application. The link will take you to a new website to complete the Exemption process.
- Provide Personal Statement and supporting documentation – The Exemption form asks for a detailed personal statement of your situation and copies of your supporting documentation. Supporting documentation can be upload to this form (documents must be a PDF or Image).
Exemptions will be reviewed and an email will be sent to your Cal Poly email informing you where your exemption request is in the process, if it approved, and if you need to submit more documents. If you have your Cal Poly email forwarded to your personal email, be sure to add the following email addresses to your safe list; HousingExemption@cpp.edu and Housing@cpp.edu.
Deadline to submit an Exemption Request is April 15th before the Fall quarter you will start attendance at the university.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions: University Housing Services FAQ
Astin, A. (1991). Student Involvement: A developmental theory for higher education. Journal of College Student Personnel, 25, 297-308.
Astin, A. (1993). What matters in college? Four critical years revisted. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco.