Pay Plan Programs

Staff employees may request permanent changes to either a 10/12 or 11/12 pay plan, subject to their management line's approval, based on operational needs of the university.

What is a 10/12 or 11/12 Pay Plan and How Does it Work?

In a 10/12 or 11/12 pay plan, you work for 10 months (10/12) or 11 months (11/12) and your pay for the 10 or 11 months you work is paid evenly, along with existing health benefits, over the 12-month period. Your pay is calculated using a formula that takes your current monthly salary and multiplies it by 10 (for 10/12) or 11 (for 11/12) and then divides that total by 12 months. 

Example: Your pre-furlough salary of $4,000 per month, changing to a 10/12 full-time position would yield a monthly gross salary of $3,333 ($4000 x 10 /12 = $3,333). This spreads your salary for your 10 months worked over a 12 month period and you receive a paycheck for each month, including your months off. 

The arrangement can vary, except that a schedule shall not provide for a period of time in non-work status that requires advance payment of salary. Therefore, you must work 5 months prior to taking 1 month off, or work at least 10 months prior to taking 2 months off. Following are a couple of 10/12 examples meeting this timing requirement, without you having to work the full 10 months before your two month period of non-work:

  • "6-1:4-1" (work 6 months, 1 month off, work 4 months, 1month off)
  • "7-1:3-1" (work 7 months, 1 month off, work 3 months, 1 month off)

The month(s) you designate as your period in non-work status must be approved by your HEERA manager and are subject to change based on operational needs of the university.

Request Procedures

Requests are to be submitted in writing (Memorandum), must be signed by the employee, and include the following information/statements:

  • Employee's Name
  • Classification Title
  • Department/College/Division
  • Bronco Number
  • Pay Plan Requested (10/12 or 11/12)
  • Proposed/Requested Month(s) Off
  • Effective date for the pay plan to begin (must coincide with the beginning of a pay period--see the Pay Period Calendar)
  • Designation that the change is to be permanent
    (Note: temporary changes to pay plans are submitted on a Leave of Absence Form--see Temporary Pay Plan Requests on the Payroll Services Website)
  • Collective bargaining unit number

Approval of Permanent Change to a 10/12 or 11/12 Pay Plan

Requests for permanent change to a pay plan are to be submitted to the HEERA manager for approval through your line organization, with final approval by your vice president. If the position's duties are changing for the periods to be worked, an updated position description form outlining the work to be performed under the pay plan must be submitted along with the employee's approved request to Sandra Bufalini, Employment & Compensation Manager, Human Resources.