College of the Extended University

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

How to Look for Job Openings On-Campus

Career Center

The Career Center is located in building 97, room 100. All campus jobs are listed on Bronco Connection at

Using Handshake

Handshake is the job and internship listing service provided by the Career Center. Thousands of part-time, co-op, internship, summer, and full-time positions are posted each year specifically for Cal Poly Pomona students and registered alumni.

This service gives students the opportunity to:

  • Search for on-campus and off campus jobs and internships
  • Upload up to 10 one-page versions of their resume to be submitted when applying for positions. Students and alumni control their resumes. Employers do not have free access to your resume or information - resumes are only viewed by employers that you select.
  • Receive E-mail Updates and reminders about career related events, such as employer recruiting visits and workshops.

To Register for Handshake

Step 1: Visit

Step 2: Click on the Handshake for students link, then use your Cal Poly Pomona email address to log in.

Step 3: Once you have logged in, the site will recognize your major at Cal Poly Pomona and will invite you to activate your account.  Make sure you click on the “Yes, I want top companies to be able to find and view my profile.”

Step 4: Select the cities in which you would like to work. For instance, Los Angeles, New Delhi, Tokyo, Tel Aviv, Barcelona, or Mexico City.

Step 5: Select the fields that interest you. Examples are: healthcare, biotechnology, renewable energy, engineering, or food science.

Step 6: Think and select 5 skills in which you think you are good at. For instance, communication, leadership, research, customer service, or technology

Step 7: Now, think of organizations or groups in which you are involved in such as campus clubs, charitable organizations, cultural groups, honor societies, or clubs/organizations for your major. 

Step 8: Select places where you have worked or volunteered both on and off campus

Step 9: Congratulations! You have successfully created your profile.

Step 10: Prepare a resume, have it critiqued by a Career Counselor and upload it. You do not have to do this right away, but it is required for the On Campus Interview Program – OCI. The OCI program is only available through Handshake.

NOTE: Your profile is accessible to you and the Career Center Recruiting Staff only. Employers do not have access to the information on your user profile. If you cannot register for Handshake online, please visit the Career Center and they will be able to help you register.


The Foundation Human Resources Office also keeps on-campus jobs posted in their office, located in building 55. They are the same jobs already listed at the Career Center.

Other Resources

  • Departments on campus sometimes list openings on bulletin boards outside their offices.
  • Other job opportunities at the Career Center website: 

The On-Campus Application/Hiring Process

When you apply for a job on-campus it will either be an ASI (Associated Students Incorporated), State or Foundation position. These are the three employers on the Cal Poly Pomona campus. There are different procedures required for each employer.

ASI Position

If you apply and/or are hired for an ASI position you will fill out an application and employment papers at the ASI office in building 35, room 201 (in the ASI Human Resources Department).

State Position

If you are hired for a State position, you will need to pick up a student agreement form from the hiring department. Take form to Payroll Services with the appropriate documents to complete the hiring process. When completed Payroll Services will give you a hiring slip that you will bring back to hiring deparment. At that time you may begin working.

Foundation Position

If you are hired for a Foundation position you will fill out the employment papers in the department that hires you.

Filling Out Employment Papers

When you fill out employment papers you may need to provide some or all of the following items:

  1. Your passport with I-94 (white card usually stapled in a passport).
  2. Your Cal Poly Pomona I-20 form or DS 2019.
  3. Social Security card (you must have this card before you can be hired).
  4. Upload your on-campus job offer letter
  5. California driver’s license or ID card.

Note: Social Security Cards issued to F-1 visa holders normally have a notation stating “Valid for employment only with DHS authorization.” You will be allowed to work on campus as long as you are enrolled as a full-time student and are in valid visa status.

F-1 International Student Practical Training

“Practical Training” is paid or unpaid employment in the academic major field of study listed on your I-20 form. This is the major you are taking classes in while studying in the U.S. at Cal Poly Pomona and not the major from your home university.

There are two types of practical training: