- You pay tuition and fees directly to the host university or provider
- Programs vary in length from a summer, semester, or academic year
- There are hundreds of programs and countries to choose from
- The following study abroad search engines can help narrow your search:
Before Starting Application
- Attend an information meeting, held every Tuesday & Thursday during U-hour or Wesnesdays at 4p at the International Center
- Schedule a meeting with a Study Abroad Advisor
- Speak with your Academic Advisor and fill out the Academic Advisement Agreement *
*The is not an official form and is strictly for Study Abroad/Academic Advising purposes. Please refer to the link below for the official petition form used for course substitution (to be completed after returning from Study Abroad program)
After Getting Your Acceptance Letter
1. Submit Your Acceptance Letter to International Center
This online form is to be completed and submitted after you've been accepted into your independent program. Please note the online form requires you to include a copy of your acceptance letter and passport.
2. If You Receive Financial Aid
If you are receiving Financial Aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships website to obtain the copy of "International Consortium Agreement" for the correct academic year.
3. Attend Pre-Departure Orientation
Students are required to attend a mandatory pre-departure orientation at the International Center.
When You Return
Complete the Study Abroad Survey (will be emailed to you)
You will receive a copy of your transcripts approximately 6-8 weeks after the termination of the the school term
- The International Center will send your transcript to the Admissions & Outreach office to input your transfer credit.
- Go online and view your unofficial transcript to see that your grades have been posted (approximately 10-12 weeks). If your grades have not been posted, notify the International Center staff immediately.
- When your transfer credit has posted, fill out the Request for Course Substitution or Acceptance of Transfer Coursework to petition for your courses to be posted as per your Academic Advising Agreement
- Apply to be a Study Abroad Ambassador!
- Include your study abroad experience on your resume!
The following Independent Providers are affiliated with Cal Poly Pomona and provide affiliate grants to CPP students. Please see Scholarships/Fellowships for more information.
Academic Programs International (API) offers study abroad programs in 38 cities across 17 different countries.
AIFS Study Abroad offers programs in Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa and the Americas, plus multi-country traveling programs throughout Western Europe.
Cultural Experiences Abroad (CEA) sends thousands of students every year on education abroad programs to locations in 14 countries, including Argentina, Australia, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, South Africa and Spain.
Foundation for International Education (FIE) provides immersive study abroad and internship opportunities in London, Dublin and Amman.
Knowledge Exchange Institute (KEI) provides affordable and major specific study abroad opportunities around the globe.
Below is a partial list of third-party provider programs that past Cal Poly Pomona students studied abroad with. The information and associated links are provided as a service and does not reflect endorsement by Cal Poly Pomona.
Semester at Sea's worldwide itineraries offer rigorous coursework coupled with field assignments, service learning in 8-12 international destinations, and the skills necessary to compete in today's rapidly globalizing world. Credit earned is fully transferable by the University of Virginia.
International Studies Abroad (ISA)'s mission is to provide high quality education abroad opportunities to American and Canadian college students at an affordable price.
Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) is a comprehensive international education organization with study abroad programs all over the world including Africa, Asia, Europe, and Latin America.
Global Learning Semesters operates transformative semester and summer study abroad programs for students that blend accredited academic coursework with extensive co-curricular travel.
University Studies Abroad Consortium has provided university students with quality study abroad programs for more than 30 years.
CEH Segovia provides univeristy students with study abroad programs to Segovia, Spain. Their summer program runs beginning of August to beginning of September (4 weeks)
Study Abroad Advisor