College of the Extended University

Non-CSU Programs

  • You pay tuition and fees directly to the host university or provider
  • Programs vary in length from a summer, semester, or academic year
  • There are hundreds of programs and countries to choose from
  • The following study abroad search engines can help narrow your search:

Before Starting Application

  1. Attend Study Abroad 101
    Held every Tuesday & Thursday during U-hour or Wednesdays at 4p at the International Center

  2. Schedule an Appointment
    Speak to a Study Abroad Advisor to discuss your program options, approval process, and scholarships.

  3. Speak With Academic Advisor
    It is mandatory that you speak to your Academic Advisor and discuss the course approval process. Obtain the syllabi for the courses you are planning to take abroad and get them pre-approved through the Academic Advisement Agreement PDF *

  4. Review Your Financial Aid Package
    If you are a Financial Aid recipient, it is mandatory that you meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to review which funding is transferable to Non-CSU programs. A brief overview of this information is available through the Financial Aid & Study Abroad Information Sheet PDF

  5. Submit CPP Study Abroad Online Form
    This is not the official application to your non-CPP program. This is an internal form notifying your Study Abroad Advisor that you have applied to a non-CPP program. Despite deadlines varying for non-CPP program providers, please make sure to submit your application to both the provider AND CPP by the following deadilnes:

    Feb 15 (Fall/Summer programs)
    Sep 15 (Spring/Winter programs)

    Please note the online form requires you to include a copy of your application receipt/confirmation email and passport. 

  6. Request Approvals From Study Abroad Advisor
    Usually, your program provider requires you to have the following forms approved. Please submit them to your Study Abroad Advisor for signature:

    1. Advisor Approval Form
    2. Disciplinary Form
    3. Any other requests

 *The is not an official form and is strictly for Study Abroad/Academic Advising purposes. Please refer to the Registrar's form below, used for course substitution and to be submitted after returning from your Study Abroad program.
 Request for Course Substitution or Acceptance of Transfer Coursework PDF 

After Getting Your Acceptance Letter

  1. Submit Your Acceptance Letter to International Center
    This is to be completed and submitted after you've been accepted into your independent program.  

  2. If You Receive Financial Aid
    If you are receiving Financial Aid, fill out the Non-CSU Study Abroad Programs Financial Aid Form PDF  and submit to your Study Abroad Advisor.

  3. Attend Pre-Departure Orientation
    Students are required to attend a mandatory pre-departure orientation at the International Center.

  4. Have Your Transcripts Mailed to the International Center
    It is important you have your transripts mailed to Cal Poly Pomona's address, and write "Attention to: International Center."  

When You Return

  1. Complete the Study Abroad Survey 
    This will be emailed to you. Once completed,  you can come by the International Center for Study Abroad swag!

  2. Receipt of Transcript
    The International Center will receive a copy of your transcripts approximately 6-8 weeks after the termination of the school term you went abroad.

  3. Transfer Credit
    The International Center will send your transcript to the Admissions & Outreach office to input your transfer credit.

  4. Check your CPP Transcript
    Go online and view your unofficial transcript to see that your grades have been posted (approximately 10-12 weeks). If your grades have not been posted, notify the International Center staff immediately.

  5. Request for Course Subsitution
    When your transfer credit has posted, fill out the Request for Course Substitution or Acceptance of Transfer Coursework PDF to petition for your courses to be posted as per your Academic Advising Agreement.

  6. Apply for the Study Abroad Ambassador Program 
    Are you interested in sharing your Study Abroad experience with our CPP community? This is a great opportunity to meet other Study Abroad Returnees and stay involved!

  7. Include your Study Abroad On Your Resume
    Did you know employers value international exposure and experience?
    Check out "3 Places to List Study Abroad on Your Resume"


Affiliated Providers

The following Independent Providers are affiliated with Cal Poly Pomona and provide affiliate grants to CPP students. Please see Scholarships/Fellowships for more information.

Academic Programs International (API) offers study abroad programs in 38 cities across 17 different countries.

AIFS Study Abroad offers programs in Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa and the Americas, plus multi-country traveling programs throughout Western Europe.

Arcadia University brings students from universities across America on study abroad programs that excite and inspire personal ideals, global vision and academic passions. 

Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) is a comprehensive international education organization with study abroad programs all over the world including Africa, Asia, Europe, and Latin America.

Cultural Experiences Abroad (CEA) sends thousands of students every year on education abroad programs to locations in 14 countries, including Argentina, Australia, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, South Africa and Spain.

Foundation for International Education (FIE) provides immersive study abroad and internship opportunities in London, Dublin and Amman. 

IFSA Butler creates global learning environments designed to foster the development of critical perspectives, knowledge and skills essential for students to thrive in the future.

Knowledge Exchange Institute (KEI) provides affordable and major specific study abroad opportunities around the globe.   

Maximo Nivel provides high quality, affordable study abroad programs in Latin America. 

University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) provides university students with affordable, valuable study abroad programs with more than 50 programs in 27 countries.   

Independent Providers

Below is a partial list of third-party provider programs that past Cal Poly Pomona students studied abroad with. The information and associated links are provided as a service and does not reflect endorsement by Cal Poly Pomona.

Semester at Sea's worldwide itineraries offer rigorous coursework coupled with field assignments, service learning in 8-12 international destinations, and the skills necessary to compete in today's rapidly globalizing world. Credit earned is fully transferable by the University of Virginia.

International Studies Abroad (ISA)'s mission is to provide high quality education abroad opportunities to American and Canadian college students at an affordable price.

Global Learning Semesters operates transformative semester and summer study abroad programs for students that blend accredited academic coursework with extensive co-curricular travel.

CEH Segovia provides univeristy students with study abroad programs to Segovia, Spain. Their summer program runs beginning of August to beginning of September (4 weeks)



Study Abroad Advisor


Phone: 909.869.3267