W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library User Access Policy
Due to the unique, rare, and delicate nature of the material housed in the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library, the Library has adopted specific regulations governing its use:
- Researchers desiring to use the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library are advised to schedule an appointment in advance. It is recommended that the researcher search the library catalog and/or inquire of the library staff ahead of time to identify items s/he wishes to examine.
- Materials may be used only in the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library or in another supervised location with the approval of the Arabian Horse Subject Specialist.
- No food or beverages are permitted while using materials in the Library.
- Travel bags, purses, briefcases, backpacks, coats, notebooks, folders, etc. may not be taken into the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library. Lockers for personal belongings are available.
- Only personal computers, notepaper, and pencils may be brought into the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library to be used when taking notes. Pencils are available at the research tables or from a staff member.
- All researchers must sign in. Researchers will be asked to complete a registration form before requesting materials. Cal Poly Pomona students, staff, and faculty must present a valid Bronco ID card when materials are requested. Visiting researchers must present a government-issued form of identification, such as a driver's license, when materials are requested.
- Library materials are retrieved by the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library staff after a Request Slip has been filled out. Only one folder or container of loose material may be used at one time. No more than five (5) bound volumes may be used at one time. If additional material has been requested, it will be held by staff and issued to the researcher upon return of the completed material.
- Items in the collection may not be marked or otherwise altered or defaced. No marks should be added or erased. No "Post-it"-style bookmarks may be used. Any plain paper used as temporary bookmarks must be removed before returning material(s).
- All bound materials (such as journals, manuscripts, and books) are to be placed completely on the tables; book spines should be fully supported. These items are not to be held in the lap or propped against the edge of the table. Loose sheets and pages should be carefully handled by their edges. Book supports and/or gloves may be provided and their use required.
- Papers within folders are not to be rearranged. If a researcher thinks something is out of order, s/he should bring it to the attention of the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library staff.
- Materials may be copied only with permission and at the discretion of Library staff, who will make all copies. Fragile materials may not be copied. A photocopying or scanning charge may be assessed.
- Permission will be obtained from a member of the Library staff before taking digital photographs of library materials. Re-use of digital photographs will be considered reproduction, and permission must be sought for each additional use.
- The use of certain materials may be restricted. For the protection of its collections, the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library reserves the right to restrict access to materials which are not yet arranged or processed, or which are exceptionally valuable or fragile. Use of some items may be restricted by the donor. In some cases, copies may be substituted for the originals.
- The researcher must secure written permission from the Head of Special Collections and Archives to publish or permanently display reproductions of W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library material. The researcher assumes all responsibility for conforming with copyright laws and for correctly citing the source of the archival material. This repository should be cited as "W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, California." One gratis copy of any publication resulting from extensive research in the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library should be presented to the Library; if this is not possible, a bibliographic citation should be provided to the Library.
- When the researcher has completed his or her work or is leaving the room temporarily, the folder, container, or volume(s) shall be returned personally to a Library staff member.
Violation of these regulations may result in loss of access to the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library.
How can we help you at a distance?
We are happy to check to see whether our collections contain specific material, and to take on reference questions involving our materials. As staff time allows, we may be able to scan and email material(s) for a remote patron, but this may incur a charge. Please contact Special Collections Librarian Katie Richardson (909.869.3109 / firstname.lastname@example.org).