Applications Process: 2018-2019 Cohort
To be eligible for this program, you must:
- Be a low-income and first-generation college student,
or underrepresented in your field of study at the doctoral level;
- Must have completed at least 75 quarter units by the end of the Winter quarter when you apply;
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident status
Please note that everyone must fill out an Eligibility Form online, and submit supporting documents to the McNair Program office before you can complete the application package.
- Eligibility Form and Supporting Documents: Complete and submit the eligibility form online. Online submission will open on February 1, 2018. The eligibility form will be due Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 3:30 PM. Please remember that in order for your eligibility form to be reviewed and considered complete, you must submit all supporting documents (CPP Unofficial Transcript, Community College Transcripts (if applicable), CPP Financial Aid Package Summary (from BroncoDirect)) via the online submission portal (click here to submit supporting documents). You can also bring supporting documents to the McNair Scholars Program Office, located in the Science Building, Third floor, Room 8-306 no later than Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 3:30pm.
- Application Packet: Once it has been determined that you are eligible for the program, you will be given an application. You should complete all parts of the application packet. Incomplete or late application packets will not be accepted. Application due date: Friday, April 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM.
- Interview: Once applications are processed, top candidates will be invited to interview with the selection committee. Interviews will be held in April.
A complete application packet includes the following:
- The completed 4-page application;
- A photocopy of the appropriate federal income tax form (2017 1040 IRS Tax Form);
- If applicable, a copy of your most recent financial aid form;
- Your Academic Degree Progress report;
- Your unofficial transcripts; if you are a transfer student, you may submit your community college transcripts if you have only been at CPP since Fall.
- Your Personal Statement of no more than 500 words;
- Your Research Statement: about a page long;
- Two letters of recommendation. These may be emailed to
firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to the McNair Scholars Program office room 8-306 through campus mail.
Please note that some of this information will take time to gather. You should plan accordingly. As soon as you decide to apply to the program, have your transcripts sent to the McNair Scholars Program, and ask professors and others to write letters of recommendations. If you wait to do these things, you may find that the deadline will arrive, and your application packet will be incomplete. All complete application packets must be returned to the McNair Scholars Program office (Building 8, Room 306) no later than Friday, April 6, 2018 at 3:30pm.