Freshman Orientation FAQ
- Is orientation mandatory for all students?
- How long is the freshmen orientation?
- Do I have to stay overnight during orientation?
- When will I be able to register for an orientation date?
- Can I bring family members to orientation?
- What orientation session should I register for if I will be participating in the Summer Bridge Program?
- What else do I need to do to ensure my admission to Cal Poly Pomona?
- Can I get a refund for my orientation fees?
- What if I want to change or reschedule my orientation session after I've already selected one?
- By when do I need to pay my orientation fee?
- Do I need to take any additional steps if I am "conditionally exempt" in English or Math?
Orientation is mandatory for all new undergraduate students and is an enrollment requirement. If you miss attending orientation, you will not be eligible to enroll for classes.
When you attend orientation, you’ll get acclimated to the university by taking tours of the campus, learning about important programs and resources, participating in informational workshops, interacting with faculty and staff, and getting to know other new students. Most importantly, you’ll get a head start when you receive academic advising and register for your fall classes during orientation!
Orientation is from 8am until 6pm on the first day. You must stay overnight in the Residence Halls.
The second day starts at 7am and ends at different times depending on your major. If you are in a special program such as Maximiziing Engineering Potential or MEP or Kelloggs Honor College (KHC), or are a STEM major, you day will end around 6pm. If not, your day will end around 3pm.
Yes, freshmen orientation is a mandatory overnight program. Students are required to attend all components of our program, including Poly Nights, our evening program in which students will participate in structured, interactive activities. If you have special circumstances that prevent you from staying in the residence halls, contact Orientation Services at 909-869-3604.
Registration opens in mid-February and you will be eligible to register once you pay your Enrollment Confirmation Deposit. Due to limited space and accommodations, advanced registration is required and walk-in participants cannot be accommodated.
Space is limited!, but Yes! We encourage you to bring anyone who will be supporting you during your college experience. We offer a separate orientation program for parents, family members, and guests. This program is the same day as the first day of the freshmen orientation program.
If you are participating in Summer Bridge, you are not required to attend orientation. However, we encourage you to register for orientation while you are waiting to hear if you have been accepted to the Summer Bridge program. If you are accepted to Summer Bridge, be sure to notify Orientation Services in writing (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you need to cancel your orientation registration because you will be attending Summer Bridge.
It is critical that you meet all testing and document deadlines in order to enroll at Cal Poly Pomona. Your Admission will be cancelled if you do not meet all deadlines. For a complete list of deadlines and requirements, click here.
Should your plans to attend the university change and you have NOT yet attended orientation, you may request a refund no later than two weeks before your scheduled orientation date. To do so, you must contact Orientation Services in writing at email@example.com (please include your Bronco ID#). Please note that the refund is not granted automatically and you must contact our office to request it.
Should your plans to attend the university change after you have attended orientation, your orientation fees (including both student and parent/family orientation programs) are non-refundable. You are not eligible to receive a refund after attending orientation, despite any change in your admission status.
When choosing your student orientation date, please select carefully! There is a $15 service fee for requests to change or reschedule your originally selected date. Please note, you will only be permitted to change your date once.
Your Orientation fee is due within 30 days of your registration date or 2 weeks before your orientation program, whichever is sooner. Please note that your fee will post as a "ORS fee" on your student account.
If you are conditionally exempt in English and/or Math (based on your EAP and/or SAT/ACT scores) you will need to complete one of the options below to enroll in Math and/or English classes at Orientation:
- Students who are conditionally exempt and expect to pass their senior-level experience course with a C or better should submit their official transcript to Cal Poly Pomona BEFORE their Orientation date, or by the document deadline of July 15 (whichever comes first) to be able to register for classes. If CPP does not have your official grades, you will not be permitted to register for your Fall courses until your transcript is received.
- Students who are conditionally exempt are highly encouraged to take the EPT and/or ELM. An EPT and/or ELM score will help to place you into your Math and/or English classes. This option is recommended for:
- Students who are not enrolled in a senior-year experience course
- Students who are expecting to finish their senior-level experience class with less than a "C" or "75%" in the class
- Students who are not be able to submit their transcripts BEFORE their Orientation date.
Students can view other resources related to the EPT and ELM here:
- EPT and ELM Test Exemption (informs them of the exemption)
- Test Registration (General test registration at all CSU’s)