Sexual Assault

Sexual assault is when someone is forced or coerced to engage in sexual activity. Alcohol is often involved in sexual assault.

The facts
  • 20-25% of college age women will experience and attempted or completed sexual assault
  • 90% of sexual assaults on college campuses are committed by acquaintances (someone the survivor knows)
What to do if you experience a sexual assault
  • Talk to someone at the Violence Prevention & Women’s Resource Center
  • If you don’t feel comfortable talking to the campus advocate, you may also call the local Rape Crisis Center hotline at 909-626-4357
  • Talk to someone you trust (family, friends, professors, etc.)
  • File a police report
  • After and assault, it’s normal to not be able to concentrate on school work, sleep behaviors may change and you may feel fear, anxiety and depression. Please speak to a counselor to receive support.
Reporting Sexual Assault

An advocate from the Violence Prevention and Women’s Resource Center can accompany you and provide support during the reporting process. You don’t have to do this alone. Your parents won’t be notified unless you are a minor (17 years old or under).

You may report to the police

University Police Department
(909) 869-3070

Reporting to the University and/or local police is an option at any time. If you choose not to report to the police immediately following a sexual violence or assault incident, you can still make the report at a later time. However, with the passage of time, the ability to gather evidence to assist with criminal prosecution may be limited.

If you have experienced sexual assault (e.g., rape, non-consensual sexual touching, attempted rape), dating violence, domestic violence or stalking, you are encouraged to seek immediate assistance from police and healthcare providers for your physical safety, emotional support and medical care.

Should you choose to notify University Police, you will be escorted to a safe place if necessary, and may be transported to a hospital or sexual response assault center for a medical exam.

It’s important to preserve physical evidence
It is important that you take steps to preserve and collect evidence; doing so preserves the full range of options available to you in a criminal prosecution. In order to preserve evidence after experiencing a sexual assault: (1) do not shower, dispose of clothes or other items that were present during the assault; and (2) seek a medical exam immediately.

Once law enforcement has determined that you are safe, they will conduct an interview. The police officer(s), will ask you to tell them what happened and take notes to write a report. This is the beginning of the police investigation, at this moment they will be gathering as much evidence as possible. You may have a support person or sexual assault advocate present with you at the police interview.

You may report to the campus Title IX Coordinator

Linda M. Hoos
Phone: (909) 869-2708

If you would prefer not to notify the police, you are encouraged to contact and seek assistance from the campus Title IX Coordinator. The campus Title IX Coordinator can provide you with written and verbal information regarding applicable University complaint procedures for investigating and addressing the incident.

You have the option to NOT report

You are strongly encouraged to report any incident of sexual assault. However, non-reporting is also an option for you should you so desire.

If you decide to not report to local authorities or the University you should consider obtaining treatment form a local medical provider to treat any injuries. Another option is visiting the campus counseling center or contacting your local rape crisis center for support.

Please remember that your safety and wellbeing is priority.