Cal Poly Pomona

Temporary Pay Plan Requests

Employees may request to temporarily participate in either a 10/12 or 11/12 pay plan, subject to their management line's approval, based on operational needs of the university. Requests are for up to one year at a time.

What is a 10/12 or 11/12 Pay Plan and How Does it Work?

In a 10/12 or 11/12 pay plan, you work for 10 months (10/12) or 11 months (11/12) and your pay for the 10 or 11 months you work is paid evenly, along with existing health benefits, on a 12-month basis. Your pay is calculated using a formula that takes your current monthly salary and multiplies it by 10 (for 10/12) or 11 (for 11/12) and then divides that total by 12 months.

Example: Your pre-furlough salary of $4,000 per month, changing to a 10/12 full-time position would yield a monthly gross salary of $3,333 ($4000 x 10 /12 = $3,333). This spreads your salary for your 10 months worked over a 12 month period and you receive a paycheck for each month, including your months off.

The arrangement can vary, except that a schedule shall not provide for a period of time in non-work status that requires advance payment of salary. Therefore, you must work 5 months prior to taking 1 month off, or work at least 10 months prior to taking 2 months off. Following are a couple of 10/12 examples meeting this timing requirement, without you having to work the full 10 months before your two month period of non-work:

  • "6-1:4-1" (work 6 months, 1 month off, work 4 months, 1month off)
  • "7-1:3-1" (work 7 months, 1 month off, work 3 months, 1 month off)

The month(s) you designate as your period in non-work status must be approved by your HEERA manager as part of your request to temporarily participate in a pay plan.

Impact on Vacation and Holidays

Vacation and sick time accrual are not affected when changing from 12-months to a 10/12 or 11/12 plan when there is no a time base change. You continue to accrue during months off. Milestones for higher vacation accrual rates are not impacted by participating in a 10/12 or 11/12 arrangement.

Holiday pay is not provided for holidays landing in months off. For 10/12 or 11/12 pay plans, holidays are not a point of consideration as the employee receives a monthly paycheck for the one or two months not worked. An employee cannot receive additional pay because a holiday occurs during a month off.

Request Procedures

To request to temporarily participate in a 10/12 or 11/12 pay plan, submit a Leave of Absence Form to your HEERA Manager. When completing the leave form, for the "Reason(s) for Leave" designation, select "Other" and indicate whether you are requesting a 10/12 or 11/12 pay plan. Use the "Reason for Leave" comment section to indicate the month(s) requested off. Remember, you must work 5 months prior to taking 1 month off, or work at least 10 months prior to taking 2 months off.

The beginning and ending dates for the pay plan need to be indicated on the leave form. The beginning date must coincide with the beginning of a pay period and the corresponding ending date for the 12th pay period following should be indicated for the end date--see the Pay Period Calendar for dates or contact Payroll Services for assistance.

The form needs to be submitted through your management line, with final approval by the vice president for your division. Approved leave forms for temporary 10/12 and 11/12 pay plans are to be submitted to Mary Martinez, Leaves Coordinator, Payroll Services.