Residency Information

Who determines residence status?

The campus Admissions Office determines the residence status of all new and returning students for nonresident tuition purposes.  Responses to the Application of Admissions and, if necessary, other evidence furnished by the student are used in making this determination.  A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish a right to classification as a California resident will be classified as a nonresident.

Who may establish residence status?

Legal residence may be established by an adult who is physically present in the state and who, at the same time, intends to make California his or her permanent home.  Steps must be taken at least one year prior to the residence determination date to show an intent to make California the permanent home with concurrent relinquishment of the prior legal residence.

The student who is within the state for educational purposes only does not gain the status of resident regardless of the length of the student's stay in California.

Section 68044 of the California Education code states we cannot approve someone for residency reclassification if he/she received $750 or more from parent(s), has been claimed as a dependent by parent(s) for tax purposes, or has lived for more than six weeks with parent(s) in any of the prior three years.

How is a minor's residence status established?

An unmarried minor (a person under the age of 18 years) derives legal residence from the parent with whom the minor maintains or last maintained his or her residence or actual physical presence.  The unmarried minor who has a living parent cannot change residence status on his or her own.  A minor's residence also cannot be changed by the appointment of a legal guardian or by the relinquishment of a parent's right of control.

Can a resident alien have California residence for tuition purposes?

In addition to providing documentation that establishes residential intent within the State of California, immigrants and non-immigrants alike must provide documentation verifying legal presence in the United States.  In considering reclassification, examples of such include a permanent resident card and I-485 receipt notice, or documentation showing current visa status.  Nonresident students seeking reclassification are required by law to complete a supplemental questionnaire concerning financial independence.

When is residence status determined?

A residence determination date is set for each academic term and is the date from which residence is determined for that term.   In Cal Poly Pomona, the residence determination dates are:


September 20


January 5


April 1


July 1


The steps necessary to show California residential intent will vary from case to case.  Listed below are some of the steps involved in establishing California residence.  A complete listing can be found in the Cal Poly Pomona University Catalog.

  • Registering to Vote in California

  • Obtaining a California Driver's License

  • Having a vehicle registered in California

  • Declaring California as legal residence for tax purposes

  • Establishing a checking or savings account in California

  • Ownership of residential property or continuous occupancy or tenancy of an apartment where one's permanent belongings are kept.

For more information, please see the following handout:

Ten things you need to know about California residency for tuition purposes (PDF)

Download the requirements for Determination of Residence for Nonresident Tuition and CSU Residence Reclassification Request Form by clicking on the link below.

Instructions for Residence Reclassification Request Form (PDF)

Residence Reclassification Request Form (PDF)

*Return form to the Registrar's Office

How can I appeal my residence reclassification?

If your residence reclassification is denied at Cal Poly Pomona you may appeal this denial within 120 days of notification. Appeals should be addressed to:

The California State University
Office of General Counsel
400 Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4275

The Office of General Counsel can either decide the appeal or send the matter back to the campus for further review.