Skip To Content

Transfer Credit Information

Undergraduate students

Students transferring into Cal Poly Pomona may be awarded credits for courses completed at other regionally accredited colleges and universities.  Students  must submit an official transcript from each institution where they completed courses.  Upon receipt of the transcript, CPP course and/or unit credit is determined.  Transfer courses may be applied toward specific requirements, such as general education or major requirements, or serve as elective credit.

A maximum of 70 semester units or 105 quarter units transferred from community colleges may be applied toward the cumulative unit requirement for a Bachelor's Degree.

Transfer courses are applied toward degree requirements and are based on factors such as articulation agreements, unit limitation and GE certifications.  For specific transfer credit information, please see the links below.

Additional Graduation Requirements
The American Cultural Perspectives Requirement is a graduation requirement satisfied by completing the equivalent of an approved course from the list shown in the Cal Poly Pomona Catalog.  Please note that completing the CSU Breadth General Education Certification pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) does not guarantee satisfaction of this requirement.  Contact the Registrar's Office for more details.

If you have taken a course in American Government at a college or university outside California or at a college or university in California that is not part of the California State University (CSU) or California community college systems, or if you earned credit for American Government through an AP exam in high school, you may have been told that you still need to take a test in order to demonstrate knowledge of California government.  Click here for more information.

Transfer Credit Guide for Veterans

Veterans who have completed coursework while in the military may be eligible for additional course credit. View the Transfer Credit Guide for Veterans.

Military Transfer Credit Agreement

The articulation agreement below specifies specific course credit to be awarded for certain courses taken while in the military.  To receive credit, student veterans must first submit an official military transcript to the Registrar's Office by following the instructions on the Transfer Credit Guide for Veterans

View a PDF of the Military Transfer Credit Agreement

ACE ID Number


Start Date

End Date

ACE Credit Recommendation

Cal Poly Pomona Course

Quarter Units


Land Navigation by Correspondence



In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in land navigation/military science/orienteering.

GSC 255L


Lower-Division Elective


MC-2204-0088 (Version 2)

Recruit Training Master



In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 1 semester hour in orienteering/adventure, 2 in basic military science, 3 in land navigation and tactical operations, and 2 in basic martial arts (PE) (9/03)(10/07)

GSC 255L


Lower-Division Elective



(Version 2)

Warrior Leader



In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in leadership (10/09)(9/11)

GSC 255L


Lower-Division Elective



(Skill Level 20)




Credit may be granted on the basis of an individualized assessment of the student (9/04)(9/04).

GSC 255L

Subject/content credit only.  No units earned.2

1 Student may petition 2 quarter units towards GSC 491L subject/content credit.  Petitions will be reviewed and awarded GSC 491L subject/content credit on a case-by-case basis.  Note:  No upper-division units will be awarded for GSC 491L.  Student must be mindful of upper-division unit requirement for the Bachelor’s degree.

2 This is a military occupation and no units will be awarded.  GSC 255L content may only be satisfied through experiential training gained by this military occupation, contingent upon 2 quarter units available from another military course with related content. (e.g., elective units from GE Area E military credit.)

Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) - Student Transfer Achievement Reform (STAR) Act (SB 1440)

California Community College students who earn a transfer associate (AA-T or AS-T) degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing to a CSU and given priority admission over other transfer applicants when applying to a local CSU campus, or non-impacted CSU program. AA-T or AS-T admission applicants are given priority consideration to an impacted campus/program or to campuses/programs that have been deemed similar to the degree completed at the community college. Students who have completed an AA-T/AS-T in a program deemed similar to a Cal Poly Pomona major are able to complete remaining requirements for graduation within 90 quarter units. 

Roadmaps outlining the recommended plan for completing the 90 additional quarter units are available here: Associate Degree for Transfer information, including eligible Cal Poly Pomona degrees, available here:

Graduate Students

The following unit limitations on transfer courses apply to graduate students:

A maximum of 13 units from an accredited institution or from Extended University may be applied to the Master's Degree requirements with departmental and college approval.  Time limits apply to the acceptance of transfer courses.

Additional Information for Transfer Credit

ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services
American Institutions Requirement: CA Component
AP/IB/CLEP Credits
Extended/Open University
General Education Requirements/Certification
Regional Accrediting Agencies