Gas Leaks / Utility Failures

Hazardous gas leaks

For emergency calls, dial 9-1-1 from any campus phone or (909) 869-3070 from a cell phone. For non-emergency calls, dial (909) 869-3070. The Environmental Health & Safety Department will also be notified through dispatchers at the University Police Department or Facilities Management.

Compressed Gas Cylinders

If a compressed gas cylinder should begin leaking, and if in the judgment of the person or persons responsible for such materials it presents any danger to themselves or the other building occupants, the following steps should be taken:

  • Confine the gas, vapors or fumes from fires by shutting the room door.
  • Contact your building marshal and sound the building fire alarm so evacuation can begin.
  • Call campus police 9-1-1 from any university phone. Give your name, department, location, type of gas and associated hazards of the emergency.
  • Evacuate to a safe area at least 500 feet away from the building. Do not return to the building until instructed that it is safe to do so by emergency personnel.

Suspected gas leaks or suspicious odors should also be reported to campus police or the Environmental Health & Safety Department, (909) 869-4697, so appropriate action can be taken.

Utility failures

Electrical/Light Failure

In the event of a major utility failure such as a power outage, contact facilities maintenance at (909) 869-3030. After hours, contact the University Police Department at (909) 869-3070. If deemed necessary, University Police will instruct you to evacuate the building.

Plumbing Failure or Flooding

Cease using all electrical equipment, vacate the area and notify Facilities Management during normal working hours at (909) 869-3030. Contact University Police and Parking Services for after-hours emergencies at (909) 869-3070.

Ventilation Failure

If smoke or burning smells come from the ventilation system, immediately report it to Facilities Management at (909) 869-3030. If smoke is dense, immediately notify the University Police Department at 9-1-1 or (909) 869-3070.

Natural Gas Failure

If a natural gas line is leaking, it is considered an emergency. Contact University Police immediately by calling 9-1-1 or (909) 869-3070. Alert others in the area and close doors behind you as you evacuate the building. Facilities Management will be dispatched to turn off the gas from the outside.