The award is to honor a faculty member in the College of Science who has distinguished him/herself and the College through his/ her efforts and productivity in discipline-based research. The Ames Award is given once a year.
All College of Science faculty members, including lecturers, are eligible for this award.
The Award carries with it a $500 honorarium, and the recipient is obligated to present a seminar to the university community.
- During the first week of winter quarter, a call for nominations will go out to the chairs of each department with a deadline of the first Monday in February. Each nomination should include a brief paragraph describing the nominee's qualifications.
- By the fourth Monday of February, the chairs and the associate dean will recommend the nominees to the dean.
- By the first Monday in March, the dean will announce the recipient of the Ralph Ames Distinguished Research Award.
- Early in the spring quarter, the recipient will make a presentation on their research to the college faculty. A flyer announcing the details of the presentation will be distributed to faculty. A reception will be given immediately following the presentation.
- During the Faculty/Staff Meeting during Fall Conference, the dean will introduce the current year's Ralph W. Ames Distinguished Research Award recipient.
Among the qualifications to be considered for each nomination:
- Quality of and numbers of:
Publications in scientific/technical journals; presentations before professional groups; student research projects supervised
- Invitations to:
Speak before professional audiences; collaborate with researchers; serve on editorial and review boards; referee or review research publications or proposals in the discipline
- Receipt of external funding grants
- Constistency and longevity of research efforts at Cal Poly Pomona
- Impact of research on the quality of the instructional program(s) in the college
- 2016-2017: Dr. Robert Talmadge, Professor of Biological Sciences
- 2015-2016: Dr. Jennifer Switkes, Professor of Mathematics and Statistics
- 2014-2015: Dr. Craig La Munyon, Chair and Professor of Biological Sciences
- 2013-2014: Dr. Ángel A. Valdés, Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
- 2013: Dr. Hubertus Von Bremen, Professor of Mathematics and Statistics
- 2011-2012: Dr. Randall J. Swift, Professor of Mathematics
- 2002-2003: Dr. Jonathan A. Nourse, Professor of Geological Sciences
- 2001-2002: Dr. Doug A. Klumpp, Professor of Chemistry
- 1999-2000: Dr. Peter B. Siegel, Professor of Physics
- 1998-1999: Dr. Bijay K. Pal, Professor of Biological Sciences
- 1997-1998: Dr. Harriet Lord, Professor of Mathematics
- 1996-1997: Dr. Don F. Hoyt, Professor of Biological Sciences
- 1995-1996: Dr. Halina Przymusinska, Professor of Computer Sciences
- 1993-1994: Dr. Lawrence J. Herber, Professor of Geological Sciences
- 1992-1993: Dr. Elisheva Goldstein, Professor of Chemistry
- 1991-1992: Dr. Jill Adler-Moore, Professor of Biological Sciences
- 1990-1991: Dr. Vasu Dev, Professor of Chemistry
- 1989-1990: Dr. Daniel F. Stiffler, Professor of Biological Sciences
- 1987-1988: Dr. Earl I. Pye, Professor of Chemistry
- 1985-1986: Dr. Patrick W. Mobley, Professor of Chemistry
- 1984-1985: Dr. Glenn R. Stewart, Professor of Biological Sciences