One of the most beneficial opportunities that exists within the LSAMP program is the paid research fellowship.
Students commonly think that approaching professors in the fall quarter is the best time to find a slot on a project/research team. The best time is actually spring quarter, because professors know who on their teams will be graduating and freeing up slots. Please approach professors about working on their projects in spring. We will have an early application period for research fellowships, the deadline of which is late spring/early summer and is announced through the LSAMP email list. There are academic year fellowships and, depending on funding levels, summer quarter fellowships.
LSAMP will sponsor academic year research fellowships for 1 year for students working with STEM faculty on a research project. Fellowships pay a stipend of $2000-$2500 per year and comes with $300-$400 research supplies. All participants are required to present their work at the Science Research Symposium or Engineering Showcase in May.
- Eligibility of a Research Fellowship requires the following:
- Be a current LSAMP student with an application on file (program application can be turned in concurrently)
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Minimum GPA 2.75, Preferred 3.0 GPA
- Must be currently pursuing a STEM degree
- Have interest in pursuing a STEM graduate degree (MS, PhD)
- Have selected a Cal Poly Pomona faculty member to be research advisor
Please download and complete the application. Submit an unofficial transcript and the required documents by the deadline announced each year to the SEES/LSAMP Office (3-2123).