Tutorial services provides quality learning assistance to our students so that they may achieve academic excellence in Cal Poly Pomona courses by encouraging them to assess and develop the reading, writing, computing and critical thinking skills necessary for university level work. We aim to assist students in integrating academic learning with their personal knowledge, values and experiences. Tutorial services assists students in developing intellectual independence in evaluating and shaping their own educational experiences. The tutorial program also assists students with identifying and adopting study skills techniques necessary to reach their educational goals.
EOP’s tutorial services offers no-cost assistance to program participants who are experiencing academic difficulty, as well as to those who want to improve their skill or knowledge in preparation for a test such as the GWT or MDPT or in a particular course. Tutoring is provided for most undergraduate courses. Trained peer tutors provide learning support to individuals and groups. The tutorial program is certified at two levels (Regular and Advanced) by the College Reading and Learning Association.
Individualized Tutorial Services
- One to One and Small Group Tutoring
- On-going Tutoring - You will be matched with a tutor at a convenient time in your schedule and will then meet with the same tutor on the same day and time throughout the quarter for one hour each session.
- One Time Only Appointments - These appointments are available to students wishing to meet only occasionally with a tutor (in preparation for a test or paper, or in addition to a regularly scheduled appointment). They are one-hour sessions.
Graduation Writing Test Preparation
GWT tutorial assistance is available at any time during the quarter (fall, winter, spring). Students meet one to one with writing tutors for one hour consecutive sessions in preparation for the Graduation Writing Test.
- Students hand-write a seventy-five minute essay in a response to a prompt, and then meet with a tutor to learn how to improve the structure, organization and or grammar of their essay. A re-write is requested.
- With the aid of a writing tutor, students learn to proofread their own essays.
- Each appointment is preceded by the writing of a seventy-five minute essay in response to a new prompt. There is no limit to the number of GWT tutorial appointments which may be requested.
Come to Building 1, room 220 or 220A, between 8:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m., and complete a "Request for Tutorial Appointment" form. You may then schedule your appointment and begin meeting with a tutor as early as 48 hours after your request.
You will be asked to sign an agreement stating that you will come at the appointed time, and that you will come prepared (e.g.: attempted homework, completed reading assignment, drafted a paper, or whatever is appropriate preparation for your tutorial appointment). Should you need to cancel an appointment, you must do so 24 hours in advance of the appointment so that we are able to notify your tutor of your absence. Call (909) 869-3363 to cancel an appointment. This phone has a 24-hour message service; so you may call at any time to cancel an appointment. Should you cancel an appointment more than two times during the quarter, you will lose your appointment for the remainder of the quarter. If you do not call to cancel, your appointment will be discontinued for the quarter.
- Arrive on time.
- Bring the necessary materials, i.e.: textbook, course syllabus, calculator, previous quizzes or tests, etc.
- Come prepared with questions, problems, draft of an essay, or whatever is necessary to have a productive session.
- Tell the tutor exactly what your needs are for the subject/class at the beginning of the session.
- Be open and honest with your tutor when they are not meeting your tutorial needs. If you are dissatisfied for any reason with your tutorial sessions, please come to 1-206 and ask to speak with Arturo Covarrubias, Tutorial Services Specialist.
Study Skills Assistance
Study skills are a major component of every tutorial session. EOP tutors are trained to help you with: time management, note-taking, exam strategies, techniques for enhancing your memory, reading strategies, stress management, and several additional areas. Make your tutor aware of your specific needs. Should your tutor be unable to assist you, you will be referred to an appropriate specialist.