Student Learning Outcomes
During Academic Year 2011-12, the SADAC committee (now Assessment Team) from the Division of Student Affairs developed divisional Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs). From the perspective of the committee, it was necessary to connect departmental SLOs within the Division of Student Affairs to Cal Poly Pomona’s University Learning Outcomes (ULOs).
Divisional Student Learning Outcomes were developed through a comprehensive review of ULOs and the identification of specific contributions that the Division of Student Affairs, through its programs and services, makes to student learning and success. The Student Affairs Vice President and lead team approved the adoption and distribution of these outcomes to all divisional staff. Staff in the division were asked to identify which of these SLOs were aligning with their programs and services, and to incorporate them into their assessment efforts and reporting. This practice supports the Division of Student Affairs culture of inquiry and evidence.
Division of Student Affairs Student Learning Outcomes
- Self Determination - Students who participate in Student Affairs programs and activities will understand the importance of and develop an empowered sense of self and commitment to personal responsibility, integrity, and wellness
- Social & Civic Engagement - Students who participate in Student Affairs programs and activities will demonstrate a commitment to developing awareness and addressing the social issues and needs of their various communities, including the university, through meaningful involvement
- Diversity & Global Consciousness - Students who participate in Student Affairs programs and activities will develop a multicultural perspective through an understanding and appreciation of individual similarities and differences, cultural diversity, and local as well as global issues of social justice and equity
- Professionalism & Ethics - Students who participate in Student Affairs programs and activities will develop and apply a clear set of values and ethical framework in their personal and professional endeavors
- Personal and Practical Competencies - Students who participate in Student Affairs programs and activities will critically analyze problems and integrate knowledge, skills, and experience to develop solutions in their personal lives and to advance their academic and career growth