Building on the growing momentum for leadership and action on climate change, the Presidents’ Carbon Commitment initiative provides a framework for campuses to become climate neutral. The initiative recognizes the unique responsibility that institutions of higher education have as role models for their communities and in training the people who will develop the social, economic and technological solutions to reverse global warming.
By signing the initiative, the president has pledged to eliminate Cal Poly Pomona’s greenhouse gas emissions over time. This involves:
- Forming a climate task force charged with fulfilling the commitment requirements.
- Completing an emissions inventory.
- Within two years, setting a target date and interim milestones for becoming climate neutral.
- Taking immediate steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by choosing from a list of short-term actions.
- Integrating sustainability into the curriculum and making it part of the educational experience.
- Making the action plan, inventory and progress reports available to the public.